adgecutler

Lister12/2 and 4.5Kva "Fatboy" .

So, I've noticed the forum has a Stationary engine section, although it's for Petrol engines I guess I can post about my Diesels?

Not so long ago I restored a Lister CS12/2 that my Dad had started before he left this world, I thought I should finish what he had started a decade or more before. Sadly as he had left it in a stripped down state and partially exposed to the elements it involved a very thorough every part to pieces restoration. Over 18 months I restored the engine plus and alternator for it to drive, the set up is in memory of Dad who loved engines and was extremely knowledgable on electrics. I designed and fabricated a semi portable base for it all to sit on and it has now attended several rallies and been the power source at a few family parties.

Here she is as Dad left her:post-657-0-50787300-1452720238_thumb.jpg

Here are some of the components nearing the end of the restoration, I recall this was just after I reassembled the injector pumps :

post-657-0-21640400-1452720390_thumb.jpg

Out at her first rally at Newby hall where she ran 16 hours solid on he first proper run, I think we ran somewhere around 32 hours in total at that rally:

post-657-0-83029800-1452720530_thumb.jpg

And a quick video somebody took at Newby, she normally has 2000 Watts of lighting running plus a kettle or chip pan as well as all the mobile phones people bring to me to charge!:

When I was at school in darkest Sussex in the 1950s the school was "off grid" and had a single? cylinder Lister generator (start-o-matic?) . Presumably it was DC as there was a room full of glass tank accumulators - no recollection of the voltage. I seem to remember that it stood quite tall and had twin flywheels and a thermo-syphon cooling system that just lost heat from a 45 gallon sized drum mounted above it . This tank was a good source of hot water for melting "scotch glue" in the woodwork shop next door!

Edited by Wristpin

On 1/12/2016 at 11:39 PM, Stormin said:

It doesn't matter if it's petrol or diesel. It's a stationary engine.  Good job you've made of it. Your dad would be pleased. :thumbs:

You going to Newby Hall this year?

Only just read this comment. If I do go to Newby it will be as a spectator only, it's quite a long haul for me and quite costly fuel wise when towing the Lister.

thats a rare old lister you have there, the cs's are going up in value year on year,i have a cs6 starto matic next to my boat,we used it to run our washing machine;)........it seems to have a stuck valve at the moment so i will have to have a look when i get the time...............nice to see a restoration without being painted!!!!!

Prices of CS engines has crashed lately, I recently sold one that I had spent quite some time getting running, it had the desirable electric flywheels and was an early engine, 1932, it only made £250 on Ebay. If there is original paint I leave it, you only have it once!