Potash123

Hayter Osprey

Hi. Newbie here; just joined the Forum. I have just bought a complete Osprey which I am restoring. I have restored English motorcycles and mowers since I retired just for fun. This Osprey is a going concern and is solid. This is the model with the front bumper and 7 BHP engine. The engine is now serviced and runs great the blades are now sharp and ready to cut. I will start on the paintwork when it is warm enough to use a spray gun. I cannot keep my projects due to a lack of room as there is a Lambretta and a Francis Barnett taking up room in the garage. I have another complete Osprey to collect in the spring, so this current one will go on the market. Due to the lack of information on the internet can someone date this well built machine and suggest a price for selling, I am not greedy !

Well done to the moderators on this site, great reading.

Regard's Colin  ( Essex ) 

Assuming that it has its original Briggs and Stratton engine the engine code number stamped into the blower housing / cylinder shroud will give a rough indication ie 830905** 1983, September the fifth. The last two digits are for the plant/shift of manufacture. If the engine is original the date of the machine is likely to be within six months later.

No Glass's Guide for used mowers, it's what someone is prepared to pay on the day. Unless the paint/rust is really bad it can be worth more in original condition commensurate with its age rather than repainted.

The Francis Barnett is a restored 1959 Falcon 81 with the Villiers 197 cc engine. That will be going in the spring. No photos of the Osprey at the moment as it is in bits and the wheels have gone off to be blasted. Engine 870402. Thanks for replies. I found one second hand Osprey on the internet, it is in a mower shop for over £600 with a three months warranty. Seems to have had a new coat of paint. ?

The Francis Barnett is a restored 1959 Falcon 81 with the Villiers 197 cc engine. That will be going in the spring. No photos of the Osprey at the moment as it is in bits and the wheels have gone off to be blasted. Engine 870402. Thanks for replies. I found one second hand Osprey on the internet, it is in a mower shop for over £600 with a three months warranty. Seems to have had a new coat of paint. ?

I'd say that they will struggle to get that sort of money but may be I'm out of touch!

Thanks for that Supporter. The Osprey I mentioned that is for sale is on the net, see Mowmate of Basingstoke, £695 :rolleyes:  Seems to be a lot considering that the front bumper is missing ( if that is what it is called ).

There are a few rough cut 21's about, are they any good. Do they have any generic problems.

Regards Colin

Thanks for that Supporter. The Osprey I mentioned that is for sale is on the net, see Mowmate of Basingstoke, £695 :rolleyes:  Seems to be a lot considering that the front bumper is missing ( if that is what it is called ).

There are a few rough cut 21's about, are they any good. Do they have any generic problems.?

Regards Colin

Similar issues to the Osprey, front end rot and terminal damage to the right angle drive transmission if run dry .

Still can't get my head round the price being asked for that Osprey - could be a long time waiting for the right customer at that price.

There's been a Ransomes Antelope on ebay for £400  - reduced from £500 with no takers. Not surprising when I've just bought one in similar condition for £37.50  and another far better one for £75.

Evening Colin, late to read this post but welcome anyway

Francis Barnetts, my late father and I restored a 1956 Falcon 74 way back in the early 1980's, that had a 197cc Villiers 8E in it and although

only a three speeder it used to get along the road fine... :)

vegikev, who is on here every so often, is into his Hayters, he may be able to help with any queries you may have, as to value like most

of this machinery its only worth what someone else will pay for it !! 

£695 for the one you mentioned does sound a bit steep

Hope all your "for sales" find new homes :thumbs:

Paul