Triumph66

Hayter Hayterette

As I was working at home doing some odd jobs, I decided to have a look at this Hayter just a few minutes away from me. The old chap had it for years and until recently he had it at his property in Brittany. His father owned it prior to him. Also came with the original instructions manual. My plan was to use the engine on my Bolens Lawn Keeper but have decided against it as it seem a shame to dismantle it. It's currently has no sparks so I am hoping a clean of the points and armature will sort that out. My plan is to give it a thorough clean, service and treat with Owatrol. I got a small job in mind later this year to mow at a customer's.

Anyone know where I can get an exhaust or silencer?

Photos of the Hayter as found. I will take some more once it's serviced and cleaned up.

post-259-0-90900800-1453139417_thumb.jpe

post-259-0-14373700-1453139493_thumb.jpe

post-259-0-57407500-1453139709_thumb.jpe

post-259-0-81280700-1453139764_thumb.jpe

Also came with the original instructions manual. My plan was to use the engine on my Bolens Lawn Keeper but have decided against it as it seem a shame to dismantle it.

It currently has no spark so I am hoping a clean of the points and armature will sort that out. My plan is to give it a thorough clean, service and treat with Owatrol. I got a small job in mind later this year to mow at a customer's.

Anyone know where I can get an exhaust or silencer?

Nice old 70s example there. It reminded me I have one at the stash in Billingshurst. Paint colour I believe is Fern Green. Next time I'm down there, I'll check it out as the cast alloy base and paint is in excellent nick.

As for a Muffler, if it's a 3.5hp with 1/2" NPT thread, then a B&S 'Screw In' one should sort it (if you can get the old lock nut undone and the pipe out).

Part number would be Briggs & Stratton 89966  .....type that into a search box for lots of buying options.

The original silencer was a circular box that exited through the hole in the deck. As far as I'm aware these are no longer avaliable but as Anglo traction says the std briggs one will fit and work.

Thanks lads. Where's the best place to get genuine air filter elements for the above Hayter. I know where I can source modern filters, blades etc but I have drawn a blank on the old style filter.

Thanks. Andrew

Thanks lads. Where's the best place to get genuine air filter elements for the above Hayter. I know where I can source modern filters, blades etc but I have drawn a blank on the old style filter.

Thanks. Andrew

I'd give either l&s engineers a call in Walsall or Midland Power and Machinery Distributors(MPMD) in Worcester. Otherwise I'd of thought any briggs dealer should be able to get one.

The original silencer was a circular box that exited through the hole in the deck. As far as I'm aware these are no longer avaliable but as Anglo traction says the std briggs one will fit and work.

Yes, those ones that exited through the deck have been obsolete for ages but the Briggs small "cigar" will do the job . A pattern one is available from Central Spares ; who also do a sponge air filter.

http://www.centralspares.co.uk/product/muffler_23.aspx

You may be able to recognise your air filter element from this, but beware that  some have minor dimensional variations that are not obvious to a casual glance. The safest way is to key your model, type and code into a parts look-up site.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tbnlvw6qyw6qy94/Briggs%20sponge%20air%20filter%20elements0001.pdf?dl=0

Edited by Wristpin

I have been servicing several of my customers' modern lawn mowers today so took the opportunity to loosen the remains of the exhaust/silencer. I sprayed some Loctite freezing agent onto the nut throughout the day. I had to cut off some of the exhaust so I could get my socket onto it. After an audible clicked, it loosened up nicely. I was able to unwind it by hand. Results!

Now going to order an exhaust for it.post-259-0-99644500-1453394151_thumb.jpe

I have ordered several items for the Hayter's resurrection, namely a new hot dog exhaust, spark plug and new blades. I measured the air filter element from the description and it matches with part number 270579. What is the different between 270579 and 270579S?

Thanks

I have ordered several items for the Hayter's resurrection, namely a new hot dog exhaust, spark plug and new blades. I measured the air filter element from the description and it matches with part number 270579. What is the different between 270579 and 270579S?

Thanks

'S'    :) ........Couldn't resist it!.     Seriously though. I seem to find that people/sellers don't use the 'S' when they're flogging Aftermarket parts.

However Kohler for example use/d the same part number suffix system of using  '-S' , and earlier with prefix of 'A- and X-' .

This 'S' Suffix letter was dropped on many later revisions retaining the same number or an updated one.

Usually just entering the numbers in a 'Search' will show results with the suffix as well.

I owned one for all of 30 seconds! it was lotted with a Merry Tiller engine, which I wanted, I bid for it and got it for £20, I offered it to the underbidder but he just walked off, so another man took it for £10...

post-555-0-04495900-1453669387_thumb.jpg