Potash123

Hayter Osprey Drive Question ?

Hi. First of all my Osprey is going well. I have read on another thread about the rear drive lubrication. I have located a gearbox type housing with an Allen Key type plug facing backwards, I assume This holds some sort of oil. Can someone help me, am I in the right place, fluid type, levels, quantity etc and or any other tips.

Thank you in anticipation.

Regards Colin

The situation is not totally clear.

The gearboxes on early machines were filled with SAE90 oil (not EP) and could be topped up. There was then a switch to "sealed for life boxes" which were non serviceable. 

You will see that the "sealed for life" service bulletin refers to the Hayter 21 . I'm guessing that either the same applied to the Osprey.

The attached is an extract from an Owners Instruction and Spare Parts Book covering Ospreys from serial 61/5771 upwards and a 1969 service bulletin which only refers to 21s..

Later books make no mention of the gearbox at all which is suggesting that no user maintenance was required.

I would suggest that you remove whatever plug is fitted and if no lubricant is apparent make a bent wire dip stick and see if any is present. If none can be found it will be decision time!  I would suggest (and it's only a suggestion!) a mix of SAE90 and Molyslip

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5sjvlcenhz6ghfe/Hayter%2021%20%26%20Osprey%20Gearboxes0001.pdf?dl=0

Edited by Wristpin