S1g

G621 Very early Rote Ho Gem 1943

Haven't logged in for months but great to see you back on the gems.I Like the early metal wheels ....i put the later type metal wheels on my bj gem and sprayed them black. My howard 180 twin is like yours unfinished ...the engine runs  but i must fit a breather to the rocker cover ..too much pressure is forcing oil out /leaking.

Hi pat, nice to see you back. Re the wheels, after putting up the photos of the wheels I've had quite lengthy discussions with people who were around when these machines were newish. There seems to be no definitive answer as to what wheels were used and when. The early type here I've used for the time being on g206, unless I can turn up another early set I may have to use the later type on this gem, it may not be incorrect anyway as by 1944 the later type were definatley in use on allmost all gems accept the very rare few that came with pneumatics in those days.

Just received a call today off the blaster, my frame and a few odds are ready, he must be going out for a drink tonight as he's panicking for me to go and collect them today and pay him!

Heres a few shots of the handles reunited with the gearbox. Also after all the effort I put into saving the original engine with G206

Ive decided to do the same with this Gem. The engine earlier on in the project only contained a few parts of the original but ive

now sorted out my bits and bar the cylinder again I hope to save most of it. The one shot shows 3 out the 4 units that I had just

put into my industrial parts washer. Bet there cant be many in Britain  with so many in it at once.

The fuel tank has been cut open to allow me to do a proper job on repairing it. As only 1944 and earlier Gems used this type of

tank I just hope I can do a nice job of welding it back up. For safety I made sure that I burnt the tank out then steamed it before

putting a grinder near it.

The final shot shows what must be contamination in the original casting. They may of been quality at a later date but as

mentioned before during the war materials were in such short supply that a lot of castings would of rivalled todays cheap

Chinese imports in terms of sub standard finish.

IMG_1681.JPG

IMG_1682.JPG

IMG_1683.JPG

IMG_1680.JPG

IMG_1679.JPG

IMG_1678.JPG