HeadExam

Wheel Horse D-160 AG Tires On

looks good! but, aren't those rears a bit narrow for those rims? looks like they bulge out a bit

They do bulge a tad. As you might, or might not know there are two D series rim sizes, 12" and 15", I have both, but it is almost impossible to find an AG tire in 15 inch. There are two choices 6.7-15 inch wide (which is actually a implement or pedestrian tractor tire), which would also bulge on a 7 inch wide 15" Wheel Horse rim, REALLY look stupid, The next 15 inch tire available is the 30x12-15 Carlisle Tru Powers which wont fit, because the tires would be too tall. The 30" tires I have are on the wide 10" rims and because of the wide rim they only measure 29" tall, the wide rim pulls them down, just like a pinching in on narrower rim would push them up. If I had opted for the 30x12-15 Tru-Powers on the 7-15 wheel Horse rims it would have pushed them up over 31", wouldn't fit. I really had no choice unless I wanted to lift the rear fenders and have it jacked up in back like a Serbian Yugo. I could have kept the same size all around, but the tires on most GTs were designed for mowing, wide/short tires all the way around, I wanted these tractors to have some ground clearance. To give you a good example of what I mean, other than setting to plow next to George and his Gutbrod look at the last picture in my post of my other D-160 with the the 27x9-15 Maxxis Ceros tires, they measure out at almost 28" tall because they are 9 inch wide tires on a stock wheel horse 7 inch wide rims that pushed the tire upward almost an inch. Now glance at the middle of the tractor to the angle adjustment on the snow plow, see how low it is to the ground even with 27x9-15 rears and 4-10 fronts, it is 1-1/2" inches closer to the ground with stock tires. Interco offers a 27x7.5-12 and -14 tire just like this one, but I would have to find a 6 hole narrower rim. Can you start to see my dilemma?

I have 15x9 rears with turf tyres. I long for AG tyres. Even coincided pupping 15.3 x 9 with a inner tube and hope for the best

The Maxxis Ceros 27x9-15 is a great AG alternative, that works on turf as well, its the tires on my second D-160, the last picture.

I'm going to keep it barn fresh for the most part, at least that's the plan. I have another set of rear tail lights that look almost identical, but are LED, and I will be mounting a rear work light and a directional hand adjusting spotlight to the left side of the dash cowl. It will get the lower dash from the Onan powered tractor that has the electric PTO switch, and it will get a single pulley electric PTO on the front rather than the stock Manual pulley, that set up will go on the other D-160

I did wonder what you were planning as over this week end I was pulling some logs and one sliped and smashed the back light on my C-160 AUTO :angry:  but I've been searching for an original but they all seem a lot of money for something that could easily get broken again, and they are hard to find.

I prefer the barn find look if its not to rusted and damaged! that's why im reluctant to restore mine, but it does get a beating in the woods when I use it!

Regards Joe :thumbs:

I did wonder what you were planning as over this week end I was pulling some logs and one sliped and smashed the back light on my C-160 AUTO :angry:  but I've been searching for an original but they all seem a lot of money for something that could easily get broken again, and they are hard to find.

I prefer the barn find look if its not to rusted and damaged! that's why im reluctant to restore mine, but it does get a beating in the woods when I use it!

Regards Joe :thumbs:

I've really struggled with the issue of painting for many reasons. First, I want the type  and quality of paint to be the same as original, not better, not worse, not different, if at all possible. Second i don't want a trailer queen and i think if I had it painted up, I might not use it. Lastly, I'm not sure that keeping it original isn't the right thing to du as in old furniture. You know what I mean. I have somewhat restored my Massey MF-16 and My Bolens H16, but all other are as I found them as far as paint is concerned.

I have used The LED lights and attached them over the original reflectors whch are much larger. Looks great and works well in the dark

What are the ruts in the yard for? Looks like the grass was a tad high, I think the grass gauge was at bale, not mow, lol. Looks like the WH is doing fine.  :yankchain: