Alan

A FUN DAY AT JOHN'S

After weeks of sorting, finding goodie's and clearing junk, the Showman and I thought we would have a play for a change.  Chris had left one of his horses on site for haulage duty's in case it was needed while I was finishing off my Roper, so as it was a nice sunny day we had a drive around to start with.

IMG_4907.JPG

IMG_4908.JPG

IMG_4909.JPG

Last week, during his usual end of day walkabout, Chris spotted a long lost trailer which I knew was somewhere on John's land.  We decided to drag it out from the undergrowth for a better look.  As expected it was in poor condition, the woodwork having rotted away and the lighter metal not much better.  The main chassis was still good and solid and the wheels still revolved.  Hitching up one tractor got it moving until the wet muddy ground caused wheel spin.  The same result with the other tractor. Both tractors hitched up together did the trick.  The trailer was then towed across the field to a new resting place.

IMG_4910.JPGIMG_4911.JPGIMG_4913.JPGIMG_4914.JPGIMG_4915.JPGIMG_4916.JPG

For some unknown reason, the sun decided to replace it's self with clouds and rain so we finished up a bit soggy.  As usually happens, after spoiling the fun the sun decided to play nicely again.  We didn't manage to take photo's of the tow in progress.  Too busy having fun.  The last photo, scanned from an old print, shows the same trailer about 43 years ago just after John and I had returned from a Bolens and equipment recovery trip. The things we got away with in those days. Just imagine being on the road with that lot these days.  My son, on the tractor, was just pretending to drive. The Bolens in the trailer has somehow now found it's way to Norfolk.

IMG_3048.JPG

The four wheel trailer is the one Chris is restoring now.  Another fun filled day.  Thanks Chris.

10 minutes ago, meadowfield said:

it's had a rough life, surprised the wheels are still there!

Tyres look ok. I'm sure you can find a use for the wheels and axle, Chris.

2 hours ago, Stormin said:

What's Chris going to do with the trailer? Restore it? :D

I told him if it was tipped on it's side it would go into the sprinter.  He didn't want to know. :(

1 hour ago, meadowfield said:

it's had a rough life, surprised the wheels are still there!

It was in good condition 43 odd years ago.  :) The weather has given it a good battering though. :angry:

There are a few similar wheels and tires still in storage in John's barn.

24 minutes ago, Chris said:

I recon Phil should have it to go with the B450 he now owns

Chris, I think it would look cool on a HT