CasualObserver

Looking for ideas to quiet my compressor

So I've been thinking awhile about trying to make a quiet box for my single stage compressor. Its just so darn noisy and when the weather is nice I just wheel it around the corner outside the garage. But not having to do so would obviously be much more convenient. Anybody some this before or have any plans for something like that? Its one of those Sears 6hp 30 gallon tall models.

via Tapatalk 4 beta

Mine is noisy too and I am certain it's from the air intake.  There are silencers which you can purchase which may help.

post-2-0-22495400-1370728235_thumb.jpeg (click the pic)

My company, like most these days, is into personnel safety bigtime.  As hearing loss in an employee is an OSHA recordable we did a decibel surveys at our shop.  We didn't box in the compressor but lined the wall behind the compressor with foam to reduce the noise to acceptable levels.

My home compressor is still in my garage but I placed it back in the corner and ran 1/2" PVC piping up to the attic and out to the the front near my garage door and mounted a hose reel permanently to the ceiling.  If you boxed in the compressor that might work well for you and I love the easy access and retractable hose.

I am led to believe that the fire proof foam used for household seating is  ideal because it does not catch fire and the dense material soaks up sound with ease.  If you make a wooden box to totally encase it with an air gap of 6 inches after foam is stuck on and also make a air vent near to the motor fan it should keep it cool.    Have fun

Edited by simar kid