nylyon

Cultural internet question

Being in the U.S. most of the websites I visit have a .com at the end.  In fact, this one does too.  So my curiosity question for those who are not in the U.S. do you prefer visiting sites with a .co.uk, a .com or it really doesn't make a bit of difference to you?

The nature of the question is I want this to be as welcoming as possible, and don't know if a URL is important in a decision to visit a site or not.  Sure it's like judging a book by it's cover, but I know I like books with pretty covers!

At one time, I think it was generally considered that a .com for us in UK was an abroad domain, not just the USA, anywhere abroad in the WORLD In fact, often when searching on Google for example, I would avoid a .com at one time.....

However, .coms are considered to be 'easier & quicker' to type in & search therefore far better, a .com commands a higher price for the domain too of course.

I don't think these days it would matter at all, BUT, if you had the .co.uk as well as .com after my old machine, the searches could be linked, no one would know if it ended up on myoldmachine .com or whatever... but it would certainly attract more searches getting to the site... but, at a price of course.. unless of course you hold the domain already.....

But to me, yes, .com is perfectly useable.

Like your thinking Karl.

Titch

I could buy myoldmachine.co.uk BUT when clicking on it would bring you to myoldmachine.com sort of like if you went to RedSquareForum.com it will bring you to wheelhorseforum.com, never seeing RedSquareForum.com in the name.  

But if it would be useful to use promotionally, like in videos and such, I can buy the .co.uk also.

That's the way to do it!!

I own a considerable amount of domains for that very reason..Google Searches does the rest.

For here, Old Machine will get you there in no time at all, you wait & see!

Titch

What the heck, we own both now.

MyOldMachine.COM

MyOldMachine.CO.UK

It will take a while for the .CO.UK to propagate around the world, but by tomorrow you can reach here either way but it will ALWAYS show .com in the browser once you're here.

Good stuff, I'll add links to both. That will double up on the search engines :D