Stormin

Project Raider 10.

A little while ago I acquired this '75 Raider 10 with a side discharge cutting deck..

2002-02-22 01.05.18.jpg

Unfortunately the engine threw a wobbly when I had a go at starting it. See my thread, "Another for the Stable".

Today I decided the remove the engine. So onto the bench. I got a little carried away. A few other bits got taken off as well, as the engine oil drained.

2016-05-19 13.21.35.jpg

I don't know if the way the engine is bolted to the chassis is correct. Looks a bit odd to me. But no doubt some one will know.

2016-05-19 13.22.37.jpg

Engine out.

2016-05-19 13.48.30.jpg

While I was taking the engine out, I decide to drain the gearbox as well. There was oil in, or had been at sometime. About a cupful of milky fluid came out, followed by a copious amount of clear water. I reckon the box was full of it.

Rather agricultural exhaust system.

2016-05-19 13.51.14.jpg

And an even more agricultural draw bar.

2016-05-19 13.22.22.jpg

I like the way the rear fender hinges up. Handy storage compartment underneath. 

2016-05-19 15.23.48.jpg

Someone has been rather handy with a welder. Or not as the case may be. Sorry about the photo quality. Too close with my camera. But you get the picture.

2016-05-19 14.32.10.jpg

There were bolts in there as well.

And another bit of useful welding. Idler pulley welded on.

2016-05-19 15.25.16.jpg

There was one or two other bodges as well. Mixture of imperial and metric fastenings and pop rivets in place of split pins. Fortunately, the tin ware is for the most part, in good condition.

So at end of play, this is how the Raider looks now.

2016-05-19 17.36.14.jpg

Rather than put this as a rebuild, I've put it in projects. The reason being some mods will be made. Also I haven't a clue how it will evolve. Could take quite a while.

Finished stripping it down today. Also opened up the engine.

This how things are now.

2016-05-20 14.13.17.jpg

And what came out of the engine.

2016-05-20 14.13.31.jpg

The crank is lightly scored, so a regrind is need there. The bore looks ok, but a bit of a lip at the top. So new conrod, rings etc and a regrind, plus maybe a rebore. The sump had about 2mm of sludge in the bottom. When it had its last oil change is anyones guess.

I think the engine will be shelved for now, as I may not be using it.

Also looks like I'm going to have to open the gearbox. The gear lever will move for and aft, but not side to side. Anyway, with all the water that came out, I think I'd better take a look and give the internals a good clean.

Split the gearbox this morning. Not a pretty sight. :(  A good layer of black sludge in the bottom. Gears and drive shafts covered in a layer of rust. Main bearings rough. I did manage to free the selectors and get three gears.

So I reckon it's a total rebuild, with my metric conversion like the C-121. Not going to happen methinks.

A visit to a friend today has produce some interesting parts, that with another engine I have, will make a fun special.

On 22/05/2016 at 7:48 PM, Stormin said:

Split the gearbox this morning. Not a pretty sight. :(  A good layer of black sludge in the bottom. Gears and drive shafts covered in a layer of rust. Main bearings rough. I did manage to free the selectors and get three gears.

So I reckon it's a total rebuild, with my metric conversion like the C-121. Not going to happen methinks.

A visit to a friend today has produce some interesting parts, that with another engine I have, will make a fun special.

I hope you have not been encouraged to build something non standard and fun Norm? :D

Sooo, what's the engine? :D

1 minute ago, Ian said:

I hope you have not been encouraged to build something non standard and fun Norm? :D

Sooo, what's the engine? :D

All will be revealed in time, Ian. ;)

Today I collected this rather sorry, engineless Huskvarna.  Straight of the trailer and onto the bench.

2016-05-27 13.18.39.jpg

Started on it at 2pm and by 6pm I had the parts I want.

2016-05-27 18.39.30.jpg

The gearbox is a 6 speed and I believe you can change on the move. The wheel is being stubborn to remove, so has been give a good does of releasing fluid.

A bit more progress today. First I tackled the front axle as I wanted the Huskvarna steering set up. This turned out to be really simple. The Huskvarna axle spindles are a straight swop. Only difference is the tie bar. I don't know if it should be bent , but if it was straight the wheels would toe out something cronic. Anyway that was swapped round as in photo's. Curve to the rear.

2016-05-28 11.13.54.jpg

2016-05-28 11.14.08.jpg

Now the fun starts. The gearbox. Photo shows where it will be, keeping the same wheelbase. I'm going to have to make a subframe to bolt/weld on to the rear of the chassis. Not worked out how yet. Two or three options.

Sat the engine on just to get an idea of how it would look. You'll notice it's vertical shaft. Hence the steering arrangement change.

2016-05-28 11.43.43.jpg