Sign in to follow this  
sten

Allen Scythe confusion

Hi, I picked up an Allen Scythe over the weekend and thought I would do some research on dating it but I seem to be getting conflicting information. Sorry I cant load any pictures, since I updated to windows 10 I cant get pictures from my camera to my PC, ( anyway thats another story ) My Allen is machine No. R25418 on a brass plaque on the alloy cooling duct on what I believe to be a Villiers 11c engine. The "R" before the number should mean ratchet hubs but it doesnt have ratchet hubs, from what I can find the machine no. dates it roughly to 1947 but after 1943 they were supposed to have a Villiers Mk25c. Also it has brass handlebar ends but these were supposed to be out of use after the Mk2. Have I bought a bitsa or is everything I read on the internet wrong? So in summery machine no. R25418, Villiers 11c engine, no ratchet hubs and brass handlebar ends also it has a cable operated clutch. Can anyone give me an idea of the date please.

Sounds like a MK2 you have there. Fuel tank should be front to back

Yes the engine should & will be a 11c

Later MK2s did have ratchet hubs

Sounds to me its had an ID or cowling change & yes it will be a 1940s machine

Thank you Chris, yes the tank is front to back, I'm looking forward to getting it running, I have never used one. 

Something else I've noticed on my Allen, it has adjustable height handlebars which most don't have