Sign in to follow this  
Cub Cadet

Transport Box

I've been wanting to make one of these for a long time so today in and amongst painting I knocked one up out of scrap wood to work out the sizing of the actual one. Here are some photos. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

This is the wooden frame that I made

image.jpeg

A load of angle iron was dug out that I acquired some time ago. 

image.jpeg

Thanks to my dad for the welding. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Here is how far we got, still lots to do but it's getting there :) 

Finally started on this project again, I have now made the base of the box and hope to get the rest of the metal cut by the end of the week. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I am really pleased with how the wood looks with a coat of oil.  

No the wood I used is called Sapele which is a tropical hardwood, I think that your wood looks too dark to be ash since ash is a very light coloured wood but who knows :wacko:

On Friday we made the lift mechanism that attaches the box to the tractor. Here are some pics

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I put the floor in for a photo and a test drive, after taking it into our field and onto the rough ground I discovered that it didn't lift quite high enough for the terrain I would be driving over so some modifications had to be made. 

image.jpeg

I made the bottom lift arms longer and by welding onto the sides of the old ones it made the box align with the bracket on the tractor. 

image.jpeg

At least I know my drilling is straight, the holes are for the height adjustment. 

image.jpeg

This is as far as I have got, the string imitates the link arms and we are also trying to work out a way for the box to tip. 

The box finally tips and lifts twice as high :woohoo:

image.jpeg

First of all we made the lift arms that would do all of the lifting and also multiply the lift off the ground.  

image.jpeg

Then we made the tipping mechanism, once the box is on the ground you can disengage the mechanism using a handle and then by lifting the box it can be emptied. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Some tidying up of edges and welds will be done and then it is ready for paint. 

I am going to paint the mechanism yellow but I am unsure whether to paint the whole box IH white like the bonnet, or all black, or the frame black and the sides white. Any ideas will be appreciated!

Frame black sides white Ewan :thumbs:

26 minutes ago, Stormin said:

Well done Ewan. Black frame and white sides get my vote. :thumbs:

I thought you would want it yellow Norm, you reckon me discs are the wrong colour !! :D

23 minutes ago, Stormin said:

Enough yellow with the tractor. To much if transport box the same.

My thoughts exactly, black frame with white sides it is then! :)