Potash123

Briggs and Stratton engines

I have been told by a second hand lawn mower engineer that all the smaller B & S engines are interchangeable and have the same drive shaft fittings. Any views would be appreciated.  

Thanks Nigel. I am thinking of upgrading the Hayterette. I have the aluminium disc with four small blades. Is the drive connection to this disc hard to split. Did not want to start a new thread on this as there are

so many members on this section. Thanks lads.

you might have a problem there geting it off alloy against steel dont mix, some times your lucky some times your not, i have had to cut the boss off in the past

Don't recall the Hayterette as having an alloy disc, normally steel. However they can fight. With the retaining bolt removed there is a thread in the disc to take a puller bolt or more correctly a " pusher" bolt to force the disc off but if the disc has fought in the past that thread is probably stripped . It's then a question of drilling two holes in the disc just clear of the boss and fabricating a puller .

if the crankshaft oil seal has been leaking you may be in luck and be able to draw the disc off without too much of a fight  but if not it will need a lot of heat on the boss while protecting the sump with a pile of soaking wet rags. To get sufficient heat into the boss you really need oxy- acetylene .

Should say, remove the fuel tank before you start!