Keith

Hayter Osprey

Hi Everyone,

New to the forum, started playing cricket again late on in life and happlly got involved with the upkeep of the ground.

Our Hayter Osprey shed one of its blades after hitting a hidden rock and tore through the edge of the cutting disc (No hole left). Hayter no longer do this part- any ideas where I could source one or do you think a feasible fix would be to drill new blade mounting holes (accurate spacing to attempt to keep some sort of balance) i.e move them all round a 20mm or so?  Would an engineering shop be able to replicate the whole disc?

Many thanks

Quite easy to produce a new disc as it was just a flat alloy sheet riveted to the hub but may be difficult to find somewhere using suitable alloy who will chop you off a bit rather than want to sell you a whole stock size sheet (8' x 4' ?)

From memory each blade mounting point was reinforced with riveted on steel plate so has that been torn out as well? If so that would complicate the issue of moving each blade round a bit . Also am I right in thinking that it was not a completely circular disc but had flats between each blade? That would preclude moving the blades round 45 degrees.

All adds to the attraction of finding a good used disc but, of course, they never come along when needed!

Edited by Wristpin
forum software put in an unwanted paragraph break!

Hi

Thanks for the reply, luckily I have managed to source some spares off gumtree including one of these plates, its a bit of a schlep to go and get them (5 hour round trip) but what price rare bits eh?

Many thanks

Keith

Hi Keith. I recently restored one of those which went to a good home. I have another two in the green house. I would be keen to know how you get the old disc off of the shaft. Baited breath.

Regards Colin

PS There are loads of those discs about on ebay on a regular basis.

Thanks! I'm about to go and look closely and hopefully I have the right one, is the shaft held in with a central nut/locknut, presumably on  a shaft / woodruff key? Is any further dismantling necessary?

Thank you, that's fantastic. I actually went to the club earlier, the cutting discs I sourced were slightly smaller but using one of the pulleys that came with it managed to get it fitted and running tonight and cutting fine, just not as wide. At least it will buy us some time to get the original repaired or copied. 5 hour round trip to pick these bits up but the 2 spare gearboxes may come in handy as well as the other spare disc. Thanks for all the help

image.jpeg

The original is riveted but also has 3 bolts which are covered by a cone shaped guard, luckily I didn't have to attempt taking the disc off the flange, just swapped them out