Charlie Smith

Hayter Harrier 2 Help Help Help!

Hello all, the picture I have attached isn't of mine. But it's as good as identical! I've been going crazy all day! I've changed spark plugs cleaned carbs air filters etc everything and I cannot get the engine to fire, not even cough, the spark is very strong and efficient? However no go? I've even tried pouring petrol in the plug hole but no luck? Nowhat to me this isn't normal? Surely a spark and petrol would at least make a bang? 

Checked compression and that's strong.

I'm lost can you help?

Cheers 

-659932912453593170.jpg

I never thought about timing, flywheel is dead solid on the shaft as have been in there having a look, but what's best then? Use a puller to get the flywheel off and have a look?

loosen the flywheel nut to the end of the crankshaft, hold the flywheel and with a little hammer(or a chunk of aluminium like i use) rap the end of the crankshaft, two or three raps should pop the flywheel right off

You have a similar problem to me. I have also changed the relevant parts and cleaned the carb. It did fire once before that with petrol down the carb, but not since. Please update this thread with your progress. Thanks. 

PS I am not even getting a wet plug.

What's the history? Is it new to you and do you know what's been done to it? Has it ever run in your possession?

If similar to the image it could be points ignition but more likely electronic - Magnetron. May be a Magnetron sticker in the centre of the debris screen above the flywheel.

What's the compression like? Because of the action of the decompressor its difficult to check the compression by pulling the rope. Fold the handles, stand it on its tail, remove and ground the plug lead and then with a gloved hand bounce the blade against compression in the opposite way to normal rotation, ie clockwise when looking at the blade. Doing that fools the decompressor and gives a more accurate view of the state of play.

You should get a pronounced bounce. If it's just soggy it's possibly time for a valve job.

If you know anyone with a leak down tester it will give you a better view of the state of the piston and rings, the bore, head gasket and valves.

Images show a recently overhauled engine undergoing a leak down test and holding pressure - no piston blow by, gasket or valve leaks .

CIMG3691 (Medium).JPG

CIMG3690 (Medium).JPG

What's the history? Is it new to you and do you know what's been done to it? Has it ever run in your possession?

If similar to the image it could be points ignition but more likely electronic - Magnetron. May be a Magnetron sticker in the centre of the debris screen above the flywheel.

What's the compression like? Because of the action of the decompressor its difficult to check the compression by pulling the rope. Fold the handles, stand it on its tail, remove and ground the plug lead and then with a gloved hand bounce the blade against compression in the opposite way to normal rotation, ie clockwise when looking at the blade. Doing that fools the decompressor and gives a more accurate view of the state of play.

You should get a pronounced bounce. If it's just soggy it's possibly time for a valve job.

If you know anyone with a leak down tester it will give you a better view of the state of the piston and rings, the bore, head gasket and valves.

Images show a recently overhauled engine undergoing a leak down test and holding pressure - no piston blow by, gasket or valve leaks .

CIMG3691 (Medium).JPG

CIMG3690 (Medium).JPG