Sign in to follow this  
Fix'em all

Versatiller Help

Hi all,  this weekend I bought a versatiller mk1 of mid fifties vintage. It has been standing for around 35 years in a shed but is original. Took the head off & cleaned the carb & tank before attempting to start it. Started firing & was about to go when the pull start mechanism decided to separate from the engine. I have stripped it right down to get to the pull start. I reached what seemed to be the point where it would split when I removed 2 locknuts and the roller bearing from the main engine driveshaft. Still no joy, the casing moves freely but there is another aluminium plate behind the points and condenser. Can anyone help with this as I cannot believe you have to do all this work to get to the pull start. Ian

Hi I've never got quite that far in to the ds tartar on my mark one I know it has got a wire stater cord and is quite involved to get to as the ignition is also just behind it ,I will do my best to have a closer look and work it out

Cheers Steve, I wanted to avoid dismantling the ignition system but not sure if there is any other way. Even then I'm not sure it will split. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

I have separated the 2 casings & for anyone unfortunate enough to have to repair a pull start on these little Vincent engines, this is how I did it. After removing all the Rotovator tines and shafts you remove the 4 bolts that hold the pull start casing to the engine. Next remove the points & condenser. There is a small gap between the casings big enough to fit 4 x m8 nuts equally spaced. Rotate the pull start casing and use 4 long bolts to push the 2 casings apart and force the magnet and points cam assembly off the shaft. I now have to remove the recoil spring to find out why the assembly is not throwing itself forward & engaging with the engine.