Bronzegreen

Hayter rough cutters

Hi all

I'm new to the group

I've just rediscovered my interest in older rotary mowers

I used to tinker with them 25+ years ago

ive recently bought a couple of hayterettes a Hayter 21 and an Osprey to play with

hopefully I can help someone on here one day and might even need a bit of help myself at some point

im not planning to restore the machines not work them as they were intended

currently from the 4 I bought as none    runners I've got the 5hp hayterette working like a dream and the 21 running and       driving. The 21 needs servicing and     welding

The osprey is part stripped as bought but needs clutch work and a new drive chain with a tiny patch of welding once I have put the coil point etc back on and got it running

the 3 hp hayterette is being naughty and

sheared 3 flywheel woodruff keys for no obvious reason

i did discover the blade disk was loose though and suspect kick back and the     inertia of the loose disk to be the issue

will look at that when I get chance

i do have another 5hp engine I can fit if it decides to carry on being silly though it is a more modern engine 

that just needs its float valve seat replacing and it should be a good motor

John

image.jpeg

They are great machines

ive a 5hp and a 3hp one

im tempted to put a newer black 5hp onto the 3 hp machine

im not restoring them but getting them   doing what they do best

Cutting grass other machines will struggle with

Hi and welcome. Last year I did a bare metal restoration on an Osprey which went to good use somewhere in Devon. I have a solid Hayter 21 and an old Hayterette, the latter would like a new engine, I will keep an eye out for one. They are sitting in my greenhouse

waiting for harvest to finish. I thought retirement was supposed to give me time on my hands. Keep up the good work. I would buy all the old rough cutters if I had time. Regards.

Just found your post , My Hayterette is my image photo after it ate a passer by on Halloween last year .

Must admit to them being a great mower but i have got tired of pushing so have just bought a Wolseley 500 self propelled rough cutter today .The engine is knackered but my Hayter Harrier with the roller drive looks like a suitable engine swap for the old Vertical pull Briggs thats fitted .

I do have a Honda 6hp with the side drive but i have it on my 1974 ? LawnBug ride on mover , this cuts upto 6' high nettles easily .Just a pain to load / unload when on my own .

And after many years of using Hayter's the Hayterette gives the most trouble , mainly due to it being at high revs more than a lawn mower is .I find that the extra heat sees me oiling the top shaft 3 or 4 times a season to stop the squeal from the pull start bearings housing .The other Hayters get this done once a year before they are put to work .

I'm upto 3 hayterettes now

2 Hayter 21's and the osprey

not to mention the vast collection of other assorted B&S engined rotarys I have

ive decided to repair a few machines to sell on

nothing interesting just the standard modern units

the old machines is my real interest

Many years ago i statred off using Mounfields , but even though they use a B&S engine the Mounfields seemed to be plagued with broken rods through the case ? So i moved to Hayters .Using the same B&S engines but no problems ? All i could ever think of was blade timing being different .

I am in no way a collector as i buy what i will use , but do like a nice old Suffolk engine for some reason .

I think the oldest garden related machine i own and use is the Huffy lawn edger new oil once a year and it just keeps on going .It has an old B&S horizontal crank engine with the  pull out tube choke on the carb .Looks the same engine as whats on my Templar rotovator just seems to look a lot older .

I think the newely aquired Wolseley 500 with it's vertical pull start maybe older ? .At least engine wise .

I do own an odd ball piece of machinery though it is more farm related , A Villiers engined winch on a sled / base plate around 30" long , i got it off a boat at Selby nr York .The guy said it had been a post rammer and he got it to fit as a heavy duty winch , it has a foot pedal that when pressed engages a rubber idler wheel between engine and cable drum .When you take your foot off ,  the drum lets go and i supose the hammer fell and did it's job on the post .Though i am not certain as modern sewer winches fitted to cable trailers bear a resemblence .

So it may have started off on a cable trailer and ended up ramming in fence posts before it ended up on a 60' converted barge , then into my garage ....

I just love to hear the sound of older engines ........