meadowfield

Power shift... Never enough gears....

Whilst you were all enjoying yourselves at rpt, I took some time away from diy and plumbing to have a go at something I've been thinking of for a few years.

wheel horses don't shift gear on the move well, and often you might need to slow down a bit for some power, or speed up.

so with the idea of Powershift on the old internationals I spent about 12 hours at the lathe and came up with this. 

A split pulley system allowing a 20% increase in speed at the pull of a lever. So that's 12 forward speeds - and another gear lever to find a place for. Of course if the system works...

hopefully get get to have another look when I get home on Friday.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, meadowfield said:

Whilst you were all enjoying yourselves at rpt, I took some time away from diy and plumbing to have a go at something I've been thinking of for a few years.

wheel horses don't shift gear on the move well, and often you might need to slow down a bit for some power, or speed up.

so with the idea of Powershift on the old internationals I spent about 12 hours at the lathe and came up with this. 

A split pulley system allowing a 20% increase in speed at the pull of a lever. So that's 12 forward speeds - and another gear lever to find a place for. Of course if the system works...

hopefully get get to have another look when I get home on Friday.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

image.jpeg

should work, basicaly a variomatic pulley

4 hours ago, C-101plowerpower said:

should work, basicaly a variomatic pulley

I wasn't aware that Wheel Horse ( a D series owner only) tractors offered a vari-drive, or are you making one adapted for them? either way GREAT job!!!

Same principle as variomatic. Just two positions, low in the pulleys with no thrust on the end is low speed. High on the pulleys with them closed together is high speed. 

Not or aware anyone has ever done it before, though the principle is well established. DAF did it in the 50s, the system is still in use.

That's how my lathe originally changed speeds, had one adjustable pulley opened and closed by a worm drive motor and the other is sprung, I just set it to the centre and use the inverter as the sped control motor was 3 phase.

2 hours ago, meadowfield said:

Same principle as variomatic. Just two positions, low in the pulleys with no thrust on the end is low speed. High on the pulleys with them closed together is high speed. 

Not or aware anyone has ever done it before, though the principle is well established. DAF did it in the 50s, the system is still in use.

Mark,

Good work.

Bolens did it with the Versa-matic drive which is on a Bolens ride-a-matic. First diff lock now Versa-matic, your WH's are getting more Bolens like by the day :hide:

Iain

post-276-0-70250400-1415360046_thumb.jpg

Just now, meadowfield said:

I wasn't trying to claim it was new...  My Lawnflite uses the same system to get 7 speeds...  I was merely trying to squeeze another gadget - and gear lever onto Bendy.

:D

I've a thing about knobs and levers, also looking forward to printing some 12 speed stickers...

23 hours ago, slf-uk said:

Mark,

Good work.

Bolens did it with the Versa-matic drive which is on a Bolens ride-a-matic. First diff lock now Versa-matic, your WH's are getting more Bolens like by the day :hide:

Iain

23 hours ago, slf-uk said:

apart from the colour :P

Rather than two expanding /contracting pulleys, how about using the wheelhorse pto clutch lever and gubbins, there's a good word, to push/pull the outer sheave of the pulley, and have a link to the idler/tensioner pulley to keep the belt tension right at both ratios.:thumbs:

5 minutes ago, ranger said:

Rather than two expanding /contracting pulleys, how about using the wheelhorse pto lever and gubbins, there's a good word, to push/pull the outer sheave of the pulley, and have a link to the idler/tensioner pulley to keep the belt tension right at both ratios.:thumbs:

Im only using one pulley, with the idler taking the slack. I would use the pto lever, but two three point levers have popped up there. So looking for a new home. Tempted to make it electric shift for the hell of it :D

My mate's New Holland TX42 has  a spring loaded pulley, and one adjusted by a lead screw driven by a wiper motor, these are for the drum speed adjustment.

2 hours ago, meadowfield said:

I wasn't trying to claim it was new...  My Lawnflite uses the same system to get 7 speeds...  I was merely trying to squeeze another gadget - and gear lever onto Bendy.

:D

I've a thing about knobs and levers, also looking forward to printing some 12 speed stickers...

I am so relieved to hear that you added levers to your thing Mark that for  second I thought......    :o:D

If you like lots of levers Mark, you could double up on pulleys and belts, two more levers, like a Myford ML7 lathe trilever system, just select the ratio you want by releasing one lever and pulling the other.:D

That was my plan originally, but I'm short on space...

heres todays update, the two halves are spring loaded, with a custom thrust bearing and selector fork. Just the actuator to complete.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg