Anglo Traction

Mower Deck refurbishment

33 posts in this topic

On 09/07/2017 at 7:16 PM, Stormin said:

The underneath of yours looks perfect compared with my side discharge. Very badly pitted. :(

It looks ok now Norm, bit of a state when I started the long job, but should be good for a few seasons if cleaned properly and carefully.

Been sorting the Anti scalp Roller. I Machined up 2 flanged Bushes to fit the bearings and the fabricated Pin. I used Cast Iron and as many will know, it produces a lot of fine particles of black dust. So having mentioned this in a PM to Alan, here is a pic of the result that a few carefully placed Magnets wrapped in a plastic bag can do to confine it-

DSC01670.JPG.877162957a8634f769a4920710bbba35.JPG 

It catches most of it and allows a quick clean up after.

Finished Bushes and a sliding fit on the 1/2" dia pin-DSC01671.JPG.109ca0cfdedeecc93366df15aa706d87.JPG

As I'm pinching the flanged Bushes against the Roller bearings between the 2 mower brackets I needed to thread the end of the Pin 3/8" x 18 UNC for a nylock Nut.

Rest of the parts and the old Pin -

DSC01676.JPG.87e8713db840b098dc3c055f11e46278.JPG

Trial fit and all good..... back to cleaning and painting.

Regards 

DSC01673.JPG

Finally got my Bearings delivered 4 days late. I always seem to get the dyslexic stand-in Postman who tries to deliver my package(s) to somewhere else.....and it was a 'Sign For' item-

DSC01678.JPG.ebf4efb4d2c34b0185544873e4e3932f.JPG

Rant over, I fitted the bearings with both seals in place and so will blank off the Grease point. The Spindle needed more finishing to remove more raised scoring before fitting without excessive strain on the bearings. The top Oil Seal is a cheaper SKF double lip version, as it will now only need to keep dust and water out and the proper Toro Seal would cost over ukl£20!.

So having prepped the Deck Shell for paint, I had put the first coat of the horrible Synthetic Paint on 4 days ago and still waiting for it to fully harden:angry:

With the Centre Spindle rebuilt and silky smooth spinning, I fitted it back in place-

DSC01679.JPG.95ae73eb032522cf6c953b537d4a738f.JPG

I will do away with the Keys from the Pulleys at a later stage and convert to Nuts and Lock Washers as per Wheel Horse Service Bulletin #429. I have one spindle with a slightly sloppy Keyway.

Getting close to deciding what kind of final finish coating to apply underneath. 

6 hours ago, Anglo Traction said:

I fitted the bearings with both seals in place and so will blank off the Grease point.  

My personal view of sealed for life bearings is not the best. When I rebuilt my rear discharge deck, I removed one seal and fitted the bearings  seal side out. I like to use a grease gun now and then. :D

As to paint for underneath, a good agricultural enamel. :thumbs:

46 minutes ago, Stormin said:

My personal view of sealed for life bearings is not the best. When I rebuilt my rear discharge deck, I removed one seal and fitted the bearings  seal side out. I like to use a grease gun now and then. :D

As to paint for underneath, a good agricultural enamel. :thumbs:

one of the arguments of not doing that is eventually pushing the outer seals out with grease.

Again I'm not a lover of underseal. Especially the type that puts a skin on. If it gets damage, water can get behind and start corrosion. My local garden machinery man, now sold up and retired unfortunately, advised spraying/painting old oil under decks. Helps prevent grass etc sticking. I personally remove and clean mine after each use.

Thanks Gents for the opinions on the underseal options, always welcome suggestions, so I'll have a good think about which way to go. I have a large spray can of Automotive chip resistant white paint to use up, so I'll put that on first, followed by whatever, but would probably be comfortable using a good enamel like Norm says, then would have the option to slap Underseal of some kind on if required  ?.

2 hours ago, Stormin said:

I had a long think about pulling the seal(s) and keeping the Grease Point, but decided against it after posing the question on Redsquare and for 2 other reasons.

I would not expect anyone to notice the deliberate assembly error in my pic of the fitted Spindle, but the upper Spacer face that the Oil Seal Lips run on were graunched . I had to fit it upside down (it was fitted wrong originally anyway) which negated my option to pull both of the seals from the Top Bearing. 

This would be essential if I wanted to grease them, as the  2 small cutouts in the top Spacer have to line up with the Grease Groove in the Spindle so the grease is forced via the top of the upper Bearing, through it's Race and into the chamber to hopefully somewhere near the bottom one.

Problem is, I could not see where any pressure/air relief could escape from the chamber in order to allow more grease in, short of blowing the lower seal, or the separately fitted top Oil Seal (unless everything is a loose fit with gaps !.

Secondly, the bearing spec is good enough for me and there are Sealed for Life Bearings all over these Tractors and their ancillaries that go through hell and survive long time....we shall see.

Thanks, Regards.