Sign in to follow this  
ranger

Wheelhorse 706 fuel tank cap.

I met a gentleman at the Haddenham steam rally last weekend, he is on the lookout for a fuel tank cap for this tractor, if anyone can help, please PM me for his phone number.

I believe the tractor is also for sale. It's in Norfolk, by the way.P1040156.JPGP1040146.JPGP1040147.JPGP1040155.JPG

That is a big challenge!. 706 model doesn't show up anywhere, but I looked up 877 (similar), the part number was 5186 superseded by 55-4700. Both discontinued.

If a used one can be found, it would be like finding a Pearl in a Restaurant Oyster !.

The remaining option would be to look for one that fits a classic Harley Davidson, as it was a Generic manufactured part used on many other applications.

Guys in the U.S have used this route to obtain a Cap for similar models 64-67 ish.

If it's allowed?, an example Cap that could possibly fit is in this -Link-, but dimensions would need to be checked first with the seller.........assuming he would be prepared to pay the price!. Best I can offer.

Shame the Blue Traction Engine is 'Out of Shot'.

No problem. An Illustrated Parts List for the early mid 60s Models are pretty elusive. I only found a few Parts lists without the views.

Main U.S Model was the 606 (1966), which was fitted with an HH60 Techy Engine (6hp). The 8** series Models had the Kohler K181 (8hp) versions.

I suspect that as usual, the Annual Model changes in the U.S left a lot of unsold Units and surplus Engines, so they put the remainder of their K161T engines(7hp) into the 606 Frames called them 706 and shipped them abroad.

The last U.S. Model to have the K161T fitted was in 1964 on the 704.

That 706 is in good condition, albeit repainted and not original, it deserves a proper Fuel Cap. If it was mine, I'd pay the money for one to have the Tractor complete again (and running).............................Would be good to know what he decides and when it gets sold.

Regards.