expeatfarmer

Ransomes MG5

In between moving machines around today to accomodate the skimmer, I tried moving my MG5, firstly it was a pig to start and when it did it would not slow run, I suspect either slow running jet or possibly yet another condenser failure. The main issue was that when I tried to move it the left track was locked solid, no amount of rocking back and forth or big bars to lever it would free it off. This has happened before and went away, it is not the brakes, anyone had a similar experience ?

Is the track jammed even when in neutral?

If it is the chances are something has lodged in the gears in the side reduction box.

If it is free in neutral but jammed when in gear it is probably a failure with the internal diff gears.

Track jammed in neutral and in gear. It has happened before I think I freed it last time by jacking up the track and turning it with a bar. As there are no chains, just the two final drive gears I am mystified as to what could be actually causing it.

Silly me. I was thinking ITW. :rolleyes: Could it be the track its self? I know it could be a bit of a faff, but how about disconnecting the track and seeing if the drive sprocket turns?

I'm with Neil, somthing jammed in final drive gear between idler gear, but you would think you could free it by going the opposite direction!

I jacked up the left track and inserted some axle stands, using a bar in the drive wheel I was able to turn the track and free it off. I started the engine, applied the handbrake to the right track and put the tractor into gear, the track ran freely in both directions, left it running around for about ten minutes without problem and then took the tractor for a drive without further problem. If this happens again I will strip the final drive and see what is happening. Not sorted the slow running issue yet and have exactly the same issue on the new skimmer!