Ian

A quick Bandsaw project

I picked this bandsaw up yesterday for a rather cheap price, it works but needs a new blade..

You may also notice the legs are somewhat bent, twisted kicked about a bit..

FPS1.jpg

FPS2.jpg

Sooooo... Out came the grinder, "off with her legs".. :D

FPS3.jpg

Not wanting to have a bench top bandsaw I thought I should give it some legs back made from only the finest scrap steel I could find :D

FPS4.jpg

FPS5.jpg

Back on the ground with the cutty bit bolted back on and a couple of wheels from a WH cutting deck to make moving it around easier..

FPS6.jpg

FPS7.jpg

Once I've rewired it and a new blade is fitted I can make a start building something with this lot... 64ft of pipe that came my way for free :D

Honda FTX134.jpg

Honda FTX133.jpg

Best thing you could have done - remove the legs , the one i had , if picked up by the front handle to roll it around used to have a mind of it's own .Either trying to flop to one side or more often than not it would try to up end itself , I had to roll it with the stand feet almost toughing the ground .

It cut ok though , Looking at how you have fabricated your new stand , You could easily add a tube under the saws bed with a bolt welded to it loose fixed through the  bed .This would enable say a 6 foot length of tube with "A" frame style supports at their extrematies to be inserted at each side of the saw as work supports .The addition of a couple of 6" lengths of tube over the support tubes with simple "T" section support plates welded to them would make a propper job of it .The sliding tube supports could have simple holes and locking pins to enable for quick length changes .And of course due to the bolt through the saw bed , mitre cuts would be easier on long lengths as the swiveling allowed by the bolt enables the support to be turned to the deired angle and still create a solid structure .

32 minutes ago, Stormin said:

Handy thing to have. :thumbs:

It will be :D

30 minutes ago, Mister Mad Mower said:

Best thing you could have done - remove the legs , the one i had , if picked up by the front handle to roll it around used to have a mind of it's own .Either trying to flop to one side or more often than not it would try to up end itself , I had to roll it with the stand feet almost toughing the ground .

It cut ok though , Looking at how you have fabricated your new stand , You could easily add a tube under the saws bed with a bolt welded to it loose fixed through the  bed .This would enable say a 6 foot length of tube with "A" frame style supports at their extrematies to be inserted at each side of the saw as work supports .The addition of a couple of 6" lengths of tube over the support tubes with simple "T" section support plates welded to them would make a propper job of it .The sliding tube supports could have simple holes and locking pins to enable for quick length changes .And of course due to the bolt through the saw bed , mitre cuts would be easier on long lengths as the swiveling allowed by the bolt enables the support to be turned to the deired angle and still create a solid structure .

I do plan to make some supports to help hold up longer bit's of tube/box.   Thinking on it, it would be quite easy to make something using an office chair just minus the chair bit..   Height adjustable and would move around easy :D

The old screw adjustable ones may work as the newer gas ram ones may present problems as you would have to raise them higher to allow for drop when loaded ! .

And as you cut lengths off they may rise higher as the weight is removed !

But then again they may work a treat - give it a go and let us know .