Rocboni

Regulator

Hi, 

Im looking for a 4 terminal regulator as fitted to cub cadets in conjunction with the delco remy starter/dynamo, just to save me ordering from the US.

This is for my Ransomes ITW, I fitted a different regulator but it doesn't seem to do the job.

Thanks

Most of the older ( pre to early 70's ) British cars used the same set up of dynamo and regulator .Car boot sales are a good place to find them along with old car manuals which usually have a section on testing them and setting them up .

So any manual from a Reliant 21E to  Roll's will give you all the info you need to keep them working , as many think they have failed when all they need is a turn of the adjuster screw .

And as they are really only an electro magnet , they are quite easy to re-wrap .

Any should fit and work , unless you really need the authentic look ! .

My nephew's Porsche turbo thingy needed a new brake switch , a quick cross reference showed it to be the same as a Seat Leon's and costing a fraction of the main dealer price .

Sometimes what you are searching for can be found in unfamiliar surroundings .

Has anyone sourced new brushes and a set of terminals with insulators for the delco remy S/G, bearings should be easy to find? Also has anyone got a ammeter on their tractors, just wondering what charging currents can be expected to get the right range of ammeter?

Thanks 

On 23/10/2016 at 1:36 PM, Rocboni said:

Brushes are still ok, but a bit worn down, so though I would replace when I have it in bits.

I measure carbon brushes and enter the size into the well known auction site , I get the nearest over size available and " size them " on a sheet of 1000 grit wet and dry paper .

A wooden dowl turned to match the comutator segments diameter ,and  slit to hold a strip of 2000 grit wet and dry paper with a coat of spray  mount to secure it ,  allow me to match the curve on motors that rquire it .

If you do this a lot then a set of differing dowls that fit over an M8 bolt with lock nut  makes it easy to fit them into an electric drill chuck to spin them up .

But every now and again the correct size can be found , so you may drop on lucky ...