Sign in to follow this  
rog8811

Mayfield scissor cutter

Hi peeps, I am surprised to see that I didn't get round to posting about my bargain Mayfield last year, I used it once at work to put the glades to bed for the winter.

I gave it a good sorting out and resharpen during the quiet seasons. Last Wednesday it was cranked up once more to cut the glades again. It is doing a sterling job.

There do seem to be a couple of issues though.... First is one of my volunteers was starting it with the handle and the shaft snapped off like a carrot!  Lucky I can still use a cord.

The other one is I noticed that when the sun back lit it that there is quite a smoke haze from the engine breather, is this likely to be worn rings?

Anyway bottom line I am really pleased with the machine, it does the job I got it for and my volunteers love it!.

as was06.JPG

10 hours ago, rog8811 said:

Hi peeps, I am surprised to see that I didn't get round to posting about my bargain Mayfield last year, I used it once at work to put the glades to bed for the winter.

I gave it a good sorting out and resharpen during the quiet seasons. Last Wednesday it was cranked up once more to cut the glades again. It is doing a sterling job.

The other one is I noticed that when the sun back lit it that there is quite a smoke haze from the engine breather, is this likely to be worn rings?

Nice old Machine, always fancied getting hold of one.

As for the smoke, it maybe just that the Breather needs a good clean.

You may already be aware, but many engine types use a Reed Valve and filter trap system inside the Breather unit and run with a partial vacuum in the Crankcase.

It may be just dirty, or it could be assembled/fitted incorrectly?. I would check all these first (cheapest)

Worse case is as you may suspect. Rings, Bore or Valve Guides are getting tired. Not serious yet if only a haze.

I'd change the Oil regularly after getting the sludge out of the Sump/Oil Pan and use a bit of the old Redex in the fuel and see if it improves (I've still got about 3/4ltr if you need some.....you're not far away .

If it had been standing for a long time before you acquired it, the rings may still be sticking?.   

Thanks for the info AT, It aced the glades in 2 days barely missing a beat, I will have a shufty at the breather to see what the score is, I will do a search on the forum for more info on it.

I am so pleased with this machine, far better and more refined than any Allen scythes I have worked with.

I manage a nature reserve for a wildlife trust, the volunteers are my Wednesday work party who come to the reserve every week to help with management tasks.

I will soon be taking in the wheelhorse tractor that I have fettled so that we can have a tug with trailor to lift and carry. :)

Has anyone attached a wheeled seat behind a mayfield? I inherited one from somewhere and have been thinking about using it when driving the cutter out to the remote glades (not when actually cutting). Could it work, would it be safe?

Edited by rog8811

6 hours ago, rog8811 said:

Has anyone attached a wheeled seat behind a mayfield? I inherited one from somewhere and have been thinking about using it when driving the cutter out to the remote glades (not when actually cutting). Could it work, would it be safe?

I'm sure it's been done, but would check if you need to tilt the machine back more with a Wheeled Seat than when walking behind it.

I know Kohlers have a 30 degree safe tilt limit for short duration to prevent starving the Oil Dipper of adequate Splash Lubrication, but I don't know about the Villiers  MK10,12 or 15 on yours...I know they don't hold as much Oil. Otherwise go for it.