Rod

Hayter osprey

Hello everyone first time posting not sure if this is the right place but here goes.Have just purchased an old hayter osprey and hayterette with the osprey my main project they were both bought as non runners but once home I put some fuel in the osprey and two pulls later off she went and proceeded to cut half acre of very long grass with ease but once hot cut out.Have tried a few times more and she starts from cold but soon as hot cuts out and will not start again until cold,any help greatly appreciated.It is a 7hp briggs & stratton not sure how old but has number on chassis 12821 many thanks,Rod.

Hello Rod, Welcome. Firstly, in my opinion you posted this subject in the correct Forum (other Garden Machines), as the Osprey is self-powered and not manually pushed or pulled.

Sounds like the HT coil could be breaking down when it warms up.

Chassis number reveals it is from around mid/late 70s. Suggest you have a look at a Thread I posted in this section a while back covering the same model. You will find it near the bottom of the page when you first view the 'Other Garden Machines' Section. A couple of good links to manuals by Wristpin in post nbr 13.

If you have the original Engine still fitted, it should have numbers stamped on it like- 170702-5638-01 7******** (last block is the serial number incls year/date of manufacture).

Illustrated Parts Manual for the engine are still available from Briggs and Stratton and parts are still freely available.

Any help needed, just ask and pictures are always helpful if you can post 'em up.      

Thanks for the quick reply and the warm welcome,very helpful i will check that out soon as home and take a few pics

Couple of pics will do a few more tomorrow think i found serial numbers but hard to see got to wait for my son to get home from work so can use his far younger eyes 🤓

20161004_150005.jpg

20161004_150018.jpg

Just got these numbers from outer casing above spark plug are they useful.Model...70702. Type...213501. Code...84030129 cant work out if the year is in there

14 minutes ago, Rod said:

Just got these numbers from outer casing above spark plug are they useful.Model...70702. Type...213501. Code...84030129 cant work out if the year is in there

Yep!,there should be a 1 at the start, otherwise correct. Your engine is a replacement and the date is 1984. March 1st . Not a great many changes from the original engine spec.

The Engine Manuals for it are (hopefully) available from this LINK .

Machine look's in very good condition.

Thanks so much yep the machine is very clean so is the hayterette both have been dry stored for last 10 years or so,hope to get working on the osprey in the next week or so need it as a worker lots of rough ground to keep clear.Will post more soon as running correct and once again  thanks so much for the help the manual is excellent.

Hi, Rod.  :WMOM:Dug an Ospray, or a similar model, out from a friends shed last week.  Poor condition compared to yours.  Not had a really good look at it yet.

Hello Alan thanks for the welcome this forum has to be my best find ever except for the hayters of course 😊 never tackled a project like this before although have allways been a big fan of older mowers just so much better build quality.I have owned a webb 24" cylinder mower with a seat roller for over 10 years and it never misses a beat.

Forgot to ask but where will be the best source of replacement parts for my osprey either local in essex or online many thanks

Thanks a lot triumph66 i am very pleased with it looking forward to getting the cutting out issue resolved found lots of info here so going to order a few parts next few weeks thanks to link given by anglo traction

Studio_20161009_090110.jpg

Got the osprey to keep running long enough to finish the field its the one over the fence about 2/3rd acre in 3hrs no sweat for the osprey,I left the patch in the middle to show how it all looked before.I do beleive this machine is unstoppable so pleased with it.

Twin pulley - the one on the engine crankshaft or the less common twin pulley on the transmission input shaft that allows two speed operation?

Can you tell me the width across the big pully edge to edge then the same with the small one, I will have a look then, it's not the one I thought it would be, but I do have quite a few pulleys kicking around

Yes of course;

Here are the details;

Large Pulley OD 107.5mm
V belt is 16mm and has the reference Speedonna D1440 (B55) 46 "Square sign"

Small Pulley OD 62mm
V belt 9mm

Overall thickness of split pulley 37mm

Centre hole 22mm

Let me know if there is anything else.

Best

Stuart

Hi Nigel

I have discovered one further problem with my Osprey, the clutch! I am missing;

a .010" shim and
 an axle assembly securing collar...and
  No 4 off 1/4" X 1/4" UNF Socket Hd. Screw to secure the collar.

If you have a whole base you want to sell/get rid of or just the clutch assembly this would be very helpful.

Not sure where you live though.

Stuart

hi all  we have a Hayter Osprey for 10 years we have had great service from it for our scout group,it had oil and spark plug changes over the years,the second time of use this summer the clutch stopped driving,i checked the belts but found the bolt and woodruff key and washer missing from the twin pully , any ideas why ,and where can i go for replacements.

john

Why, it wasn’t done up tight enough and time and vibration have taken their toll.

The retaining “ bolt” is a1” x 3/8” UNF thread hex head set screw .

The spring  washer   is a 3/8 “ single coil spring washer.

Flat washer. 3/8” flat steel washer.

Key. Standard woodruff key

All from a decent engineers merchant or Horticultural / agricultural  engineers.

cheers  for that i will try to find  these locally, all i have is metric, would you recommend putting a bit of loctite on ?

A drop of Loctite won’t hurt but the spring washer should be sufficient.  Remember the a liquid thread locking compound effectively lubricates the threads and makes it easier to strip or shear the screw so reduce the tightening torque accordingly.