expeatfarmer

Hairy Moment loading for Newbury

Loading up three machines for the Ransomes display at Tractor World, 137 decided not to slow down whilst I was reversing on the trailer, I was perched on the seat but managed to hit the decompressor lever and stop the engine before I went a over t. The old sphincters were twitching  a bit. We call them our toys but should never forget that things can go badly wrong. All safely loaded now and nearly ready to go.

IMG_1726.jpg

IMG_1727.jpg

IMG_1728.jpg

They are separate timbers that I stack between the machines. The steel tracks are too dangerous on the standard metal ramps and too wide apart. A side loading trailer would be better but I also use it for moving cars and jeeps around.

I had a similar thing happen, i use to let the tractors idle and drive themselves in and out of the van until i was at a show unloading the rowcrop. It decided to kick the ramp out and being a trike fell on its side still running. It scratched all the bonnet and bent the exhaust and footrest.

after the show i was loading back up and exactly the same thing happened lucky i was standing the right side on both occasions.

ive loaded and unloaded dozens of times and never had a problem till then. Thats when I bought new ramps and a power in and out winch 

20 minutes ago, the showman said:

I had a similar thing happen, i use to let the tractors idle and drive themselves in and out of the van until i was at a show unloading the rowcrop. It decided to kick the ramp out and being a trike fell on its side still running. It scratched all the bonnet and bent the exhaust and footrest.

after the show i was loading back up and exactly the same thing happened lucky i was standing the right side on both occasions.

ive loaded and unloaded dozens of times and never had a problem till then. Thats when I bought new ramps and a power in and out winch 

nothing like good ramps and a wench. lol I used to ride them up, but with an implement and my 200 lbs, that's nearly half a tonne. most ramps aren't rated for that much weight. I walk along them while they SLOWLY inch up. Hydrostatic drives make it easiet.

1 minute ago, HeadExam said:

nothing like good ramps and a wench. lol I used to ride them up, but with an implement and my 200 lbs, that's nearly half a tonne. most ramps aren't rated for that much weight. I walk along them while they SLOWLY inch up. Hydrostatic drives make it easiet.

Nothing moves in or out of my van now without a winch cable attached, might not be so lucky next time.

its embarrassing too, there's always people watching at shows

7 minutes ago, the showman said:

Nothing moves in or out of my van now without a winch cable attached, might not be so lucky next time.

its embarrassing too, there's always people watching at shows

Yes, I have been thoroughly embarrassed getting on the wrong side of a Massey or Bolens foot feed hydro and being in the pioroet position while the tractor takes off full speed in reverse. Gladly no pictures have surfaced

1 hour ago, HeadExam said:

you cant beat a good wench lol