Alan

AXLE / GEARBOX ASSEMBLY.

Another item dug out from John's today.  This was attached to a 3 wheel frame.  We think it was built, but not completed, by John's brother in law years ago and left abandoned in the woods. The front end has a motor cycle fork with a scooter wheel.  Car wheels were on the axle.  The frame is about 6 foot long.  Didn't take photo's but think I might have posted some on here a while ago.

The only part which won't turn, by hand anyway, is the input shaft right angle box.  This, as can be seen, is a separate item bolted to the axle.  No make or numbers visible yet but may be something under the dirt.

I expect someone on MoM will have an idea of the make.

IMG_5678.JPGIMG_5679.JPGIMG_5680.JPGIMG_5681.JPGIMG_5682.JPG

12 hours ago, meadowfield said:

Interesting...

its a peerless box, the kind of thing I could use... esp with that right angle box....

Thanks Mark. Quick answer. :thumbs:

22 hours ago, meadowfield said:

Interesting...

its a peerless box, the kind of thing I could use... esp with that right angle box....

Yes, a Peerless, as used in the Westwood Lawn bug. A 600 series , I believe,  but I've never seen one with that right angle drive box strapped on the side. Unfortunately I left all my Peerless literature  at my old business which has since closed .

I was looking for something else this evening when I came across this which may be of interest to anyone trying to id a Peerless box. Interestingly there is an illustration of a 600 series transaxle and also one of a right angle drive box but not both fixed together. It makes me think that the set up posted on the forum may have been a modification by a machine manufacturer or user and not a Peerless option.

Peerless transmission model id0001.pdf

Found similar info after your previous posting, thanks,  just not got around to replying.  Had another look and found the ID plate which gave the model number as 668 ?  Difficult to read but defiantly not 600. This MAY be due to the added angle box.   Will have another look with a magnifier on my next visit to John's.  After cleaning off some of the dirt etc, could see that one of the axle end housings has been welded up.  It was about 1/4" shorter than the other side.  Everything turned freely though and all gears, 3 plus reverse engaged.

The angle box also turned freely by hand after starting off with a spanner.  This is now reserved but the axle still available if required.

The term 600 series is the general description  of that style of transmission and the 668 is a " sub species" within that category so it's quite possible that the 68 identifies it as having that right angle drive . I have one other possible source of information but at present it is somewhat inaccessible!

I have managed to dig out the relevant 600 series information and you will see that the 668 is listed with no sign of the right angle box which supports my original theory that it was an "add on". Peerless made a bewildering assortment of right angle drives so it may be that with a bit more scrubbing your box may reveal an id plate of its own. If it does I may have the parts break down for it.

Going back to the variations within the 600 series family the difference between the individual variants is often just the axle lengths or the type of keyway on the axles.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t3zrvz6q4ochd96/Peerless 600 series transmissions0001.pdf?dl=0

A lot of useful info there. Thanks. :thumbs:  I see what you mean about all the variants and that 600 is just the series.  I have just had a quick look so far but will dive in deeper later.  As said, I will take a magnifier on my next visit.

Cleaned the ID plates yesterday which showed up most of the numbers although some are difficult to read.  The first photo is of the angle box. Could be a 1 at the start and an 0 or C at the end.  Followed by 6334  8478 ?

IMG_5728.JPG

The axle numbers are shown on the next photo.  A lot clearer after a good wire brushing.IMG_5731.JPG