Stormin

Lawnflite 504

I've been working on a neighbours Lawnflite  ride on. I sold them it about 6-7 years ago, in good running order, when I got my Wheel Horse C-125. Two years ago it wanted a new battery and was traveling at a snails pace. Since then it had been left outside with a cover thrown over it.

Lawnflite (2).JPG

Lawnflite.JPG

On examination of the drive pulleys etc, I found, though not seized, everything rather stiff in operation. This had caused the drive belt to the gearbox to come off the tension pulley. No wonder it was moving at a snails pace. 

Stripped it all down and gave it a good clean up. Now working as it should.

Next I turned my attention to the engine. 8hp B&S. Battery on and the engine spun like a good 'un. Checked the oil and a good job I did. Nothing on the dipstick. I drained about two cup fulls of very black liquid out and filled with fresh oil.

Petrol in and lets see if it will run. After a bit of cranking to get fuel through it fired up and ran fine. Back on the ground and try the clutch and gears. All working ok and then, the throttle cable snapped. :rolleyes:

I've been told they are now obsolete, so now the hunt is on.

I rooted out some old Wheel Horse cables. The idea was to use an inner in the original outer sheath. Unfortunately the WH inners are a few thou bigger then the Lawnflite one.

6 hours ago, Stormin said:

.........Back on the ground and try the clutch and gears. All working ok and then, the throttle cable snapped. :rolleyes: 

It clearly remembers you Norm!. It broke it's cable so it didn't have to go back:(. That Oil you got out of it was probably what's left of the Oil you put in several years ago.

Throttle cable. You just need a bit of piano wire . Put a "dog leg" in the control end of it , split the control box and hook it into the lever and poke it down the outer with a couple of inches protruding , clamp the outer onto the BS throttle / governor  plate and eye up the appropriate length before making the final dog leg to hook into the throttle lever.

A lot easier than it sounds!

The original part number was 746-0503

P.S. BARRUS are showing available stock!! £8.53 + vat

Edited by Wristpin
Aditional info re availability

Well it's up and running now. Throttle cable sourced of a Mountfield walk behind mower. Needed shortening and the ferrul into the control lever case modifying a bit. After a run round, ran sweet and no smoke. Job done! :thumbs: