Sign in to follow this  
Darmic1

Farmer's Boy Light Tractor and Attachments

Whilst at the Autumn Tractor World show Jim Beacon approached me and alerted me to another Farmer's Boy for sale...... The words "with attachments" kinda set my ears on high alert as I have been looking for one of these for some time. Jim was unsure which model it was and I assumed it was another Minor with bits? So I agreed to give it a new home.......... Imagine my delight when Jim messaged me to say it was the earlier Light Tractor model with the cast gearbox! 2 weekends ago it was delivered and I am really pleased with my latest purchase.

Here it is as delivered, with the large cast wheels for ploughing fitted....... and its attachments.

001.jpg002.jpg003.jpg004.jpg005.jpg006.jpg007.jpg008.jpg

I have fitted the smaller rubber wheel and tyres to make it somewhat easier to move around!

My plans for this machine are to strip it all down and get it shot blasted. I will then repaint it using a brush on paint. I'm hoping to use this one to plough with and use the various attachments at working events, a high quality finish would likely get damaged during transit and use...... I have already had the head off the engine, decoked and cleaned the valves. cleaned and reset the points so the engine now runs. The engine needs some attention to the carb, fuel tank and a replacement air filter and throttle/governor cable. The gearbox and the drive axle in particular needs some new bronze bushes fitting as there is about 3mm of play in the shaft! The large cast wheels are missing a couple of ratchet pawls and springs. So some bits will either need to be remade or 2nd hand ones sourced. If anyone knows of a machine breaking which may have some spares, please contact me?

Hi, Darren.  There are the remains of one, possibly two, at John's place.  Might have posted photo's under Bolens Stash a good while ago.  One has the cast wheels, the other which is just the gearbox and wheels has rubber tyres.

Not sure if these are the same model as yours but will have a look and take photo's next visit on Tuesday.

5 minutes ago, Darmic1 said:

Hi Richard........ its not original paintwork i'm afraid....... its had a brush makeover at some point in its life!

Well, look's like it's heading for a Darren Special job then!. Look forward to the updates

Haven't really made a lot of progress yet, but have done a few bits 'n' pieces. Decided to start with the attachments on this machine. They were all broken down to component parts, boxed up and sent off to the shot blasters. He is coating all except the mold board with an etch/epoxy primer sealer once blasted. 20161108_175947_resized.jpg

Then set about looking at the 'wobbly' mower wheels. It was obvious that the spindles had worn quite badly from 19mm(3/4') to about 14mm in places. I spoke to my welder as they are cast, his suggestion was to replace them as welding and then grinding back would significantly weaken the original cast. So a 19mm(3/4') drill bit was sourced along with a short length of 3/4' solid steel bar. Spindles cut off, and some careful measuring to work out the centres, several changes of gradually larger drill bits, the leg of the wheel carriers were eventually ready for the replacement spindles. I heated the casting to allow the cold replacement spindles to virtually drop into the new holes. Once cooled they are a very secure snug fit! A hole was then drilled for the retaining split pin.......20161130_080752_resized.jpg20161130_080641_resized.jpg20161130_080603_resized.jpg20161111_151132_resized.jpg

Have now also sourced some replacement missing parts from the actual tractor..... The fuel tank whilst present is badly damaged around the filler area, causing the cap to not seat and seal. A new tank was kindly donated by Gareth, S1G...... I was also missing 3 of the ratchet pawls on the large cast ploughing wheels. Alan kindly alerted me to possible replacements at John's place. So a trip down to Cranleigh was planned and 4 replacements and a spare engine found their way into the boot of the car. There would have been a lot more too, as Alan and Mr Showman seemed determined that I should leave with my front wheels in the air!!!

The ratchet pawls were pretty rusted..... they needed a lot of heat and some persuasion from the hammer to come apart. Once in bits I cleaned them up with a file and the wire wheel.......20161129_171743_resized.jpg

3 hours ago, Alan said:

Pawls look much better now Darren. :thumbs:  Can't understand though, how the combined efforts of the Showman and myself failed to convince you to fill your car up. :( Such a waste of space.

Alan, you and the Showman could 'sell ice to eskimo's!!!'

It was only the fear of spending a cold winter in the shed once the misses found out that kept my resolve strong!

All the attachment parts are now back from the blasters. So today I made a start on the painting....... This one is being brush painted, and I am most impressed by the paint my supplier has sold me. It covers in one coat. It's quite 'thick' in the tin, once brushed on it seems to thin and flatten really nicely, leaving no visible brush marks. Here are a few pictures of the collected parts, some original paint colour and the start of the painting marathon!009.jpg015.jpg018.jpg

I'm after a bit of advice on the plough's mold board? It's been shot blasted to remove the rust, however it is more 'pitted' than I first thought. I have attempted to remove some of this pitting with a flap disc, ground in the direction of the ploughs travel. what should I do with it? Fill the pitting with weld/filler/any other suggestion? Help and advice greatly received. Here is the board following the flap disc treatment016.jpg017.jpg

Gradually making a bit more progress with the attachments........ Most the green bit are now painted and have started on the red/orange parts. I forgot to take the 'sample' to match the colour..... Ooops! However, I took a gamble and chose what I thought was a close match......... Not a bad guess, eh?019.jpg020.jpg 

Made a start putting the plough back together 2 days ago....... I needed some countersunk 'one nib' bolts for the plough shear to be refitted, so whilst waiting for them to arrive I got this far.022.jpg

'One nib' countersunk bolts arrived today! Didn't have much time this morning before I had to go get ready for work :unsure: Today was widely reported to be the busiest day of the Christmas period with a supposed 12 million vehicles travelling 20 miles or more! Thankfully my area of responsibility wasn't too bad, and nothing major happened to interrupt Christmas travel!

Anyways....... half an hour was spent fitting the plough shear. Plough is just needing the washers and securing pins refitting to the hitch.023.jpg024.jpg

4 hours ago, the showman said:

Good job Darren, the plough looking good, once you start using it you'll be amazed how shiny it gets

Thanks! I hope so? Was a bit worried when it came back from the blasters with all the pitting!

4 hours ago, Stormin said:

Very nice. :thumbs:

Thanks!