Sign in to follow this  
Darmic1

Farmer's Boy Light Tractor and Attachments

Have been gradually putting all the attachments back together, in between shifts at work....... The transport wheel is done, the plough just needs the nib bolts grinding back, the mower is awaiting the blades to be refitted to the disc and the safety guards refitting to the drive tube. One of the guards was made out of a bit of old can of some sorts. (bottom pic far left) Very thin and flimsy....... so, having made a cardboard template, cut out the steel and curved it to shape and then welded it together. I ended up with a 2nd slightly bigger safety guard to prevent things from getting to the top of the drive shaft too! (bottom pic far right) I've not started reassembly of the tool frame or the rotavator yet.

025.jpg026.jpg027.jpg

The blades were quite badly chipped and rusted. I ground the cutting blades back to good metal and then chamfered a new cutting edge. Not sure if there is a supplier of replacement blades for this machine? I think they are very similar to those fitted Allen Scythes etc......  will need to measure them, the hole spacing and do some research! Once rust free I did skim a small amount of filler onto the blades, just to fill some of the pitting. Once sanded, primed, painted and dry, I refitted them to the freshly painted disc. I was then finally able to finish reassembling the mower attachment....... (Apologies for the pictures being sideways...... seems a bit random as the 2nd one is the right way but the 3rd, despite many efforts is annoyingly sideways!)

028.jpg029.jpg030.jpg

Those blades are identical in appearance as those used on the reel ends, on the coating machines I used to look after. Can't promise anything, but I'll see if I can find out who supplies them.

10 minutes ago, Alan said:

Hi, Darren.

Depending on size, I have similar blades rescued from John's.  Not perfect due to storage.  75 x 75mm.  5mm c/sunk mounting holes at 50mm C/L.  32 in total.

IMG_5636.JPGIMG_5637.JPGIMG_5638.JPGIMG_5640.JPG

Oooooooo! That looks promising!!!! Im off to the garage now armed with a tape measure!!!

GOODY.  Another result. :) 

Well Darren, you have two options.  I can pack and post to you, or better still if you pop down again Chris and I will make sure your car makes the return journey fully loaded. :hide:

13 hours ago, Stormin said:

Nice a quickly sorted. :) What will we do for parts and things when Johns place is finally cleared? :unsure: 

I have NO idea!

22 hours ago, Alan said:

GOODY.  Another result. :) 

Well Darren, you have two options.  I can pack and post to you, or better still if you pop down again Chris and I will make sure your car makes the return journey fully loaded. :hide:

I can pay for the postage? I would probably only want 6 or 9 blades?

23 hours ago, the showman said:

You might as well come down now that's nearly finished and pick up your next project .:hide:

I think I might need to sell something first! 😢😭

On 03/01/2017 at 11:33 AM, Darmic1 said:

The blades were quite badly chipped and rusted. I ground the cutting blades back to good metal and then chamfered a new cutting edge. Not sure if there is a supplier of replacement blades for this machine? I think they are very similar to those fitted Allen Scythes etc......  will need to measure them, the hole spacing and do some research! Once rust free I did skim a small amount of filler onto the blades, just to fill some of the pitting. Once sanded, primed, painted and dry, I refitted them to the freshly painted disc. I was then finally able to finish reassembling the mower attachment....... (Apologies for the pictures being sideways...... seems a bit random as the 2nd one is the right way but the 3rd, despite many efforts is annoyingly sideways!)

028.jpg029.jpg030.jpg

Sure I have a box of misc knife sections Darren. But where???? Will have a hunt as sure I did not weigh them in??

Have moved on to the rotovator attachment now......... had to replace the felt seals on the rotovator shaft with a modern nitrile equivalent, also needed a blank to protect the shaft end and bronze bushes. Next on the to do list was the remanufacturing of the rotor cover. This was missing and my only resource were a couple of photos screenshots from youtube! I have made a cardboard template 1st, and will get the steel cut tomorrow for this......

031.jpg032.jpg033.jpg034.jpg035.jpg

Can anyone help me with tyre advice........? This machine has 2.25x8 tyres fitted with the standard tractive tread pattern. All I can find in this size is something like those fitted to 'sack trucks'! Smooth almost NO tread! The closest I can find is 3.00x8 tractive...... my question is will they fit? My other concern is at £49each..... they are more expensive than the tyres on my Gem!!!!

Hmmm? Do you think they will fit ok? 2.25 to 4.00 is quite a big jump? Mine are a bit smaller than those shown above..... This is mine at the mo, they are shot! Splits right through to the tubes and crumbly!!!20161023_162056.jpg