Sign in to follow this  
Darmic1

Farmer's Boy Light Tractor and Attachments

Made some enquiries today with regards to 'metal spraying' to build up the worn sections of the shaft so it can be machined back to 1" diameter....... Hmmmm, £350 plus the VAT........ I think that'll be a 'no' then!

Had quite a few hydraulic pump drive shafts and other components metal sprayed in a previous job with mixed results.  Sprayed then ground back to size.  The main problem we found was that it chipped easily, especially if only a thin layer was applied.

Would it be easier and cheaper to make a new axle. ? 

It wont be getting sprayed at that price! I'm going wait until Jim has had a look at it, I think it will be trued and have bushes made to fit...... The shaft itself has a 6" chain gear just off centre on the shaft, with a woodruff key cut either end and a locating dowl hole each end too, so quite a lot of 'lathe' work involved!!!

Here's the gearbox and the drive shaft, showing the 'wear' to the bronze and the actual shaft. One side has virtually worn right through the bronze......

066.jpg067.jpg068.jpg069.jpg

Have also stripped all the old paint off the gearbox and found the brass I.D tag under all the paint......... M4694! I have no idea how many were made and exactly how old this one is??? The engine, if it's original, has a brass flywheel.......... I couldn't see any numbers on it, but then I didn't look too hard?

065.jpg

The mystery deepens about the date of this machine........ If it's fitted with the original engine, and I have no reason to suspect it's not because the original paint is matching around the sump and where the engine bolts to the frame. Having checked the flywheel this evening it is dated either 49 or 51, the flywheel has both numbers stamped onto it......? I'm doubting the M49 number as according to The 70yrs of GM, the Series 2 Farmers Boy tractor didn't exist. However 51 is closest to the flywheel nut as Gareth suggested and M49 circled and stamped onto the face of one of the 'arms' of the flywheel. If it's 1951, it ties in with the MK12 engine being fitted to the light tractor, BUT 1951 was the 1st year the Series 2 was launched and with a machine number of M4694, it would suggest they made a lot of machines in that year! Unless of course the Series 2 machines carried on from the Series 1 machines........ Oh, if only the factory records were still in existence!!! 

I've decided....... It's 1951!!!

The other places that Villiers engines have dates is stamped very faintly into the air shroud near the spark plug hole and on the underneath of the fuel tank. Again it's a circle with the letters A.J.H be warned though these stamps are very faint and corrosion or damage can easily remove them. Carefully removing the paint with stripper or sanding will often show them up. J.a.p s  before Villiers bought them out also had this stamp on them, maybe the same factory pressed up the shrouds for both companies?

The fuel tank is in a pretty sorry state Gareth..... The cap area is pushed down at an angle and yesterday I discovered it has a new use....... Sieve! I might have a look and see if its salvageable at a later date and anyways I have the tank that you sent me, I've got that stripped and in etch primer, just needs painting! The air shroud is at the shot blasters and has a liberal coat of red oxide and a later darker green on top of the original paint!

The shot blasting unfortunately is likely to remove the circle. When I first got interested in Villiers engines you could write to Ron Valentine at the factory and he would write back with the age of your engine. Unfortunately when they ceased trading around 2000 all the records went in a skip which I only found out about a few years later. A great shame.

I took all the remaining parts to the shot blasters today..... Wheels were dismantled, cleats removed and straightened. The handlebars and remaining frame parts were also dropped off. Not sure when I will get them back though as his workshop had about 5 or 6 vintage bike frames and sets of wheels there, along with a whole inner wing and front bulkhead to a Willy's Jeep, the tunnel and floor and the rear bed section! there were also various alloy wheels and new massive hydraulic pump sections all awaiting his expert attention!

5 minutes ago, S1g said:

The shot blasting unfortunately is likely to remove the circle. When I first got interested in Villiers engines you could write to Ron Valentine at the factory and he would write back with the age of your engine. Unfortunately when they ceased trading around 2000 all the records went in a skip which I only found out about a few years later. A great shame.

That is a shame!!!

Just caught up with your progress and challenges Darren. A real 'Labour of Love' and very well executed work!.

It's a shame you couldn't obtain the original tyre size and a rough estimate is an extra 9" of  machine travel for each rpm, or 24% increase in speed, so your attachments/speeds will be less effective and you may have to break into a 'Canter' behind it .

As for the Shaft wear, with the need to fix it one way or the other, I would look to replace the shafts.

Not knowing the lengths of each one, or what the metal 'Hardness' figure is, it would not be as difficult or more labour intensive to grind off the Sprocket welds, mark up and re-weld onto new shaft(s) after milling the Keyways and pin locations.

Treating to the original RC Hardness may not be required if precision ground Silver Steel is used, as it is around 27 RC hardness in it's supplied, machining condition.

A 13" length of 1" dia (+/- 0.0005") is £12.27+ vat....... longer lengths avail. Correct Bushes can then be purchased........ I'm not an expert though!. 

I'm sure Jim Beacon will provide you with good/better advice and looking forward to seeing your progress.

Glad to see the the Mk12 from John/Alan has found a very useful home.  

Hi Richard, I have wondered about the hardness of the shaft itself.....? But...... then looking at the wear, I don't think it's got/had any hardness to it as a file removes some of the material with ease! My dad informs me that suprisingly, bronze will wear a steel shaft despite it being a softer material!!!

20170202_095305.jpg20170202_124959.jpg20170201_125548.jpg

Another update!!!

I am having some if these springs remanufactured...... They are the ratchet pawl springs and are fitted to the large ploughing wheels. If anyone has a Farmers Boy light tractor and require new springs then get in touch as I will have some spares!!!

New bushes arrived today, just need to get the shaft trued and the bushes id turned down a bit to fit the shaft and it can all go back together.........20170204_105944.thumb.jpg.46e90cf742cf709bffe985b8c244ba2d.jpg

There were a couple of small dents which I have filled and then etch primed the tank. Its been bush painted with the same enamel used on the rest of this machine. However as enamels are not fuel resistant, I have a 1k clear spray can which is fuel resistant that I am going to use, once the tank is completely dry and cured.078.thumb.jpg.988db79ce9a8ed6a8213dc44ec7aaffd.jpg079.thumb.jpg.a9f91ce45866e0eabcb46ccda6ab219b.jpg  

Am now at the point where I can't really do much more for the time being....... Parts are at the shot blasters and gearbox ready for new bushes once machined...... So todays little job was to cut some metal away from the spacer plate, to allow both the air shroud and the back plate for the chain drive some clearance space....... Once cut I gave it a coat of paint........ 036a.jpg.36919b4e2dc7796ccfea80c7300c743f.jpg080.thumb.jpg.9819425bb5bc7bca8d71c91f8f89199c.jpg 

Making good progress. It can be frustrating when you have to wait for other people to do jobs for you.

Ive been trying to get a cast gearbox welded up for about 4 years now. Its sat on the one blokes bench

for two of those years when he promised it to me in a fortnight!!!

20170206_212152.thumb.jpg.3045ed408b3867a2815a144afe3c3039.jpgI'm not totally without a project Gareth, some tinkering will be done! I have the original sieve...... I mean fuel tank to repair. It has been sat in a bucket of rust eating acid for 3 days, now rinsed and drying in the airing cupboard....... I'm going to solder the pin holes and then use a proprietry brand of fuel tank sealer to fix it........ (The black dots are pin holes) all 13 of them!

Also, a chap from work asked me yesterday if my cars boot was empty? Further enquiries revealed he has a Landmaster Rotavator to donate....... Not sure of the model, but I believe it to be a JAP powered 2 stroke machine? Plans for this are to get it running and move it on to a new home!