meadowfield

Typical

1 minute ago, meadowfield said:

I've started my next project and ordered some laser cut discs 12mm x 181mm. Based on my careful measurement of my lathe swing...

IMG_2229.JPG

Doh!

IMG_2230.JPG

A bodger would file the corner off the bed as the carriage can't travel that far!

an engineer would frown, and as I'm an engineer and it's a 60 year old lathe I will have to find a solution that doesn't include buying a bigger lathe!

Ive four of them to turn down so it needs to be effective

If you are able to drill it, bolt it to a Face Plate with stand-off packing between it and the Face Plate. You will then be able to use the gap in the Bed which will allow about 9inch swing.

Look forward to seeing what you have planned. 

3 hours ago, meadowfield said:

haven't seen my faceplate since I moved, hopefully it isn't misplaced! thanks!

I think I recall seeing your Face Plate on a bench in a pic of your old Workshop (before your move) you posted in 'What Lathe have you got' (What's in the shed Forum), but when I checked, the pic is not linked any more,.......  I was sure you had one though.

1 hour ago, Anglo Traction said:

I think I recall seeing your Face Plate on a bench in a pic of your old Workshop (before your move) you posted in 'What Lathe have you got' (What's in the shed Forum), but when I checked, the pic is not linked any more,.......  I was sure you had one though.

Cant find it! Found my four jaw, and quick 3 jaw and a heap of bits.... but no face plate. So I either borrow my dad's or buy another :(

If you have a hole in the centre, screw it to a piece of ply, clamp it to the drill press table, or mill, mount a stone in the chuck turn the disc by hand against the wheel and grind enough away to let it fit in the Myford.

looking at your chuck, if it's not a 'griptru' could you not use the backplate as a temporary faceplate?

Oops!   we all have those "moments" once in a while....   I think I'd attack it with a grinder but just enough to get the clearance on the lathe you need.

As Punch would say "That's the way to do it"... Did you find yours, buy another, or has it got your Dad's name on it? :thumbs:.

I'm tempted to buy another Face Plate myself, as it saves time when doing repeat work and disturbing set ups etc.