expeatfarmer

Period Tow car

Just back from Northampton, been to collect a 1948 Pilot I bought some time ago. I had one when I was a student and always fancied another that I could use a a period towcar for hauling a tractor. It has been in a bubble for 9 years, I winched it on to my trailer but now have to get it to start to be able to take it off the trailer on my own.

IMG_1773.jpg

Very nice Motor, well done !, I remember a Black V8 Pilot that used to cruise around my Village in the early 60s. It was the low rev burble sound of the engine that always got my attention. Yours look's to be a fine example.   

Personally , after 9 years i would tie it to a tree and drive the trailer out from under it or at least use a long bar on a wheel brace to turn the wheels maually , unless your going to do an oil change on the trailer , who knows what sludge is settled in the sump after that length of time .Not to mention any perished fuel lines that could "pop" making it's first start it's last .

( The winch wire could be run under the trailer and back up over the bed to the front of the car to pull it off , but depends how much you value the cable )

My neighbor came round for a look  and helped me roll it off into the garage. Took the plugs out and gave it all a good dose of WD40 and turned it over on the crank handle. Drained the fuel tank and put some fresh petrol in.

Sorry nothing yet, car runs twin points in the distributor which is located deep at the front of the engine very close to the radiator making in situ access very difficult. Been reading up in the manual best way to attack it and have decided pulling the distributor out is the best plan. Battery is too small and probably shot (6v ) waiting for a new one on Monday along with some oil for the central hydraulic jacking system. Judging by the way the ignition light dims when you pull the starter I suspect that it will be robbing the power to the coil giving no spark so new battery should give it the best chance.

Have spent quite a few hours this week re commissioning the Pilot after its 8 year lay up, the fitted 6 volt battery was under powered and dry so a new one with higher cranking amps was purchased and fitted. The engine now turns over smoothly on the crank handle with the plugs out after a week of WD40 down the plug holes. The original fuel pump was for an earlier car and did not have the hand priming lever, no petrol was coming through after a few dozen crank turns so I suspected the fuel pump might be dried out and stuck, took it to pieces and it was dry but quite clean and functioning as it should. I refitted it and hand filled it with petrol still no good. Fortunately I found an original NOS with correct primer which I bought and fitted this morning, half an hour of priming and still no fuel and yet if I sucked on the fuel pipe I could bring petrol through. I blew air down the pipe thinking there may be an in tank filter, good healthy bubbling. Crawled underneath to check the pipework around the tank thinking there may be a split or loose pipe. Completely hidden behind the fuel tank I discovered that a non standard electric pump had been installed at some point, switched on the ignition and returned to the electric pump, silent, remembering the old SU fuel pumps I gave the pump a few smart taps and tick tick off it went and voila! petrol at the carburetor. Next step is to refit the plugs and see what happens.

yes they can and many were but you lose original items like the radio and heater unless you instal transformers and resistors to protect the guages and fuel sender. With modern batteries, led bulbs etc should really be no need to change. Strangely the post war MOD ford pilots were built with 12v systems throughout. 

Fired up and ran for the first time in 8 years today. I was expecting clouds of smoke but not bad at all. Went for a drive around the villages , it has some grunt and pulls well. Burbles nicely in top gear. Next thing to tackle is to replace/repair one of the exhaust manifolds which is cracked through as they were prone to do both have been repaired before, one well done the other badly and it leaks.

Now that it goes I have to try and make it stop, seems to be only one rear brake working and no fronts, have it all in bits and three wheel brake expanders are stuck up. I always thought that humidity controlled bubbles were a good way to store a car but now I am not so sure even the electric motor on the heater fan is stuck. Found some brand new manifolds ( ex wd ) waiting to hear from the seller. Had a play with the lights today, they are pathetic I am going to fit LED units but even though the car has a new wiring loom I am suspicious that there is a huge power loss between the battery and the lights, it may be the switch or possibly an additional positive earthing pointy is needed. Some people fit a relay system to take the current load off the switch. 

2 hours ago, expeatfarmer said:

Now that it goes I have to try and make it stop, seems to be only one rear brake working and no fronts

Seeing as every way from your place is down hill, not to mention your drive and garden, working brakes seem a good idea.

Brakes back together again fitted new seals and rebuilt the master cylinder. managed to crack a rib undoing the end nut of the master cylinder so rolling about on the garage floor under the car has been fun especially when our new puppy comes and lies on your face and pinches your head torch. Found a replacement manifold as the cracked original is in a bad way. I will weld it up as a spare.

Cleaned up the replacement manifold with my sand blaster only to find that the back of the manifold was burned through and a 4" crack along the corner. Glad I found it before i fitted it. I am going to stitch braze the crack and let in a replacement plug of cast iron to replace the burned area. I have a pair of brand new old stock manifolds that will fit but they are so poor in terms of gas flow I can't bring myself to fit them.

IMG_1786.jpg

IMG_1785.jpg