slf-uk

Reclaiming my workshop

I had planned to build a new workshop and as such I was not too concerned about my workshop space being used for storage. A new workshop is not on the cards for a while now and my current workshop is so full I can't actually do anything. As such I decided to build a temporary tractor store and have a complete move around, which hopefully will give me my workshop back and put everything in a logical place. It will take a while!

This the new temporary store which is 20x9ish foot

IMG_1073.JPG

Today I emptied my workshop so I could get to the tractor stand at the back

IMG_1074.JPG

I then moved the tractors down and out before dismantling the stand

IMG_1077.JPG

The stand will be modified and reassembled in the new temporary store. With some of the tractors outside it gave the opportunity for a tractor line up (complete with my helpers)

IMG_1078.JPG

I started to run out of time so all the equipment got hurried back into the workshop. Tomorrows job try and get everything back in the workshop and start modifying the tractor stand. Time for a beer or two now :)

If anyone is interested in the way this progresses I will update as things move on.  Progress will be slow.

Iain

Great line up of all your family!  I see Joseph is on his favourite ride! 

Keep us posted on the workshop move; the temporary rigged up storage looks to be robust enough to withstand the weather over the winter months.

10 hours ago, Stormin said:

Ever thought of buying a shipping container? 

I have but the size does not work that well for our size tractors, hence making the new store 9' wide rather than the 8' of the container. Having said that I will probably be gettng a couple of containers for something else. No saying they wouldn't work just not ideally dimensions

10 hours ago, Triumph66 said:

Great line up of all your family!  I see Joseph is on his favourite ride! 

Keep us posted on the workshop move; the temporary rigged up storage looks to be robust enough to withstand the weather over the winter months.

Andrew, I think I have lost that '62 Ride-a-matic to tractor boy.

9 hours ago, HeadExam said:

Its great to see all those different colors on the Bolens Machines. You have a fine collection sir.

Thanks Alain, love all my tractors no matter the colour or make

5 hours ago, Wristpin said:

Is it such a good idea to publicise that valuable kit may now be housed in less secure premises? Not everyone watching the forum may have honourable intentions.

Security is always a big concern of mine and part of the reason for the move around. None of the tractors in the pictures will end up in the new store. I am planning to move my parts tractors from a secure store to this one and then move good tractors to the secure store. Even though the new store is insecure I have a very bad habit of leaving large lumps of steel and wood in dangerous places and anyone breaking in would be very lucky not to get hurt. I should point out that I have not created traps because that would be illegal, I just have lots of dangerous stuff laying around.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

Iain

7 hours ago, slf-uk said:

I have but the size does not work that well for our size tractors, hence making the new store 9' wide rather than the 8' of the container. Having said that I will probably be gettng a couple of containers for something else. No saying they wouldn't work just not ideally dimensions

Andrew, I think I have lost that '62 Ride-a-matic to tractor boy.

Thanks Alain, love all my tractors no matter the colour or make

Security is always a big concern of mine and part of the reason for the move around. None of the tractors in the pictures will end up in the new store. I am planning to move my parts tractors from a secure store to this one and then move good tractors to the secure store. Even though the new store is insecure I have a very bad habit of leaving large lumps of steel and wood in dangerous places and anyone breaking in would be very lucky not to get hurt. I should point out that I have not created traps because that would be illegal, I just have lots of dangerous stuff laying around.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

Iain

This is unfathomable to me. I leave my tractors and garage open every day all day, even when I'm not home, I have never even had a key for my house in 20 years. People do not come up on peoples land around here, if they do, they know they may be on a missing persons list that no one looks at.

Regarding security -

I myself had 4 attempted breakins during January last .

Each attempt failed even though they were breaking the cement corrigated roof off the garage to try to get at the bike collection .

I have 3mm steel security fencing wired across under the corrigated roof and i use a wireless door sensor with a wireless pir detector , they run to the house alarm which is zoned so that at night when activated the garage and a pir in the garden covering the entrance are live .

These do not sound an alarm , they dial my mobile which wakes me .

Handy when i am away as well as i get the call - hang up and phone the neighbour to get them to take a look .

And best of all the system with 7 pir's and 5 door units was less then £60 off the well known auction site ,

This was 6 years ago , and they are still available today at under £60 with a built in mobile phone dialer now as well that uses it's own sim card .

But for a cheap option ( i used this for years before the wireless security system was installed ) A std 230v pir security light can have power wires run out from the bulb terminals so when illuminated the wires feed a socket with a 9v games adaptor pluged in .( multi meter required to determine the live and return )

The 9v can power a wireless door bell push switch with the push contacts soldered across .In effect having it turned on waiting for power .

This instantly sends the ring signal to the interior bell sounder every time the light is activated .

So again you can be in bed and the bell ringing will wake you to alert of any intruders .

Though cats are a problem , especially around the full moon ? but it's worth it .

17 hours ago, HeadExam said:

This is unfathomable to me. I leave my tractors and garage open every day all day, even when I'm not home, I have never even had a key for my house in 20 years. People do not come up on peoples land around here, if they do, they know they may be on a missing persons list that no one looks at.

I seem to remember that you could do this in our country when I was a kid, unfortunately no longer. It is an ongoing war, enhancing security at every opportunity and reviewing the situation when attempts are made. I really do find it a depressing situation and don't see it getting any better.

What makes my blood boil is when you contact the boys in blue and the first response is “would you like a crime number for the insurance company”, followed by “very little we can do sir”. I know police intelligence are two words that are often not used in the same sentence, but you would have thought that the person who was let out of prison for this type of offence and has no apparent income but drives a van, is worth keeping an eye on.

Anyway back to the task in hand. The job of getting everything back into the workshop turned into a nightmare. I knew that I would need to find an alternative location for the three tractors on the top of the stand but I was confident that everything else would drop straight back in place. This wasn’t the case for some reason but I did get it sorted, even though I had a bit of a sense of humour failure at one point. Seems mad that it took me two full days to empty the workshop, dismantle the stand and put everything back but it is at least a step in the right directions. No further progress until next weekend.

Iain

Regarding the scumbags -Appologies for the long reply .

My lorry ( 1994 VW LT35 ) has eneded up being stored 15 miles away from my home following 5 attacks on it by neighbours , the leader being a convicted armed robber , who is also an alcoholic .He sat in his van drinking 2 1L bottles of wine then went with a blank firing pistol to try to get more wine for free from the local shops ,this led to him being beaten up in the 3rd shop he tried to rob .

He would get off his head on drink and drugs and run around naked , peeing against fences and fighting .

This went on for 4 years , with my tyres being slashed 5 times and paint stripper thrown over the truck , my son then aged 4 was almost killed when he was sat in his baby chair in the truck ( above the battery ) and when started the battery set alight due to the wires running to the crane being pinned ( nail shoved through them where they ran up the back of the cab )

I had to dive out , run around and drag him out as the flames came up around him .

[ Our Fred ( son ) was well known up and down the country as i picked up and delivered engines , he loved the Redcarr and Northampton Corus steel works with all the forklifts , trains and trucks to watch with his favourite run being from Perkins in Peterborough cross country to Henor ( Merriman plant ) in Nottingham .]

The trouble ended with one of his friends climbing up to the daughters bedroom window at 12:30am trying to get to the cctv camera , but he slipped and fell into the garden , Oh i enjoyed myself once i had one of them on my property .He was carted off in an ambulance with head and neck injuries and concussion .The police told me to say i had not hit him , i refused to do this and made a complaint regarding the situation with nio charges being briought against me !

The police on every occassion did nothing as due to the criminal justice act , the damage was less then £5000 so the CPS were not bothered ? .

But this affected me personaly and on a business level .

I had resorted to violence and dragged him unconsious round to the neighbours house and told him enough was enough and i had had enough .

He moved , his wife left him and the woman next to him who was the gob of the trouble causing moved to Brighton .

Nice place to live once again now .

Another occassion saw a local druggy shoving his way between me and the wife and daughter ( aged 2 at the time ) as we got shopping out of the car boot , he went across the rd and sat on a wall , 2 policemen came running around the corner and one ran straight into the daughter and knocked her to the floor , he bent and picked up a syringe with exposed needle and full of a brown liquid ,He proceeded to roll it around in his fingers - i asked why he had done this as it could have been finger printed , He told me it wasnt worth it as it would cost £80 .MMMMM .

I walked into the house and came out with my .22 rifle in it's gun bag ,the 2 policemen then took notice .

Asking me my name to which i pointed out that unless they suspected i had carried out a criminal act they had no reason to ask me .

I showed them the magazine in my pocket to prove the gun was not loaded in a public place and off i walked .

They went to my house and asked the wife what i was doing , she told them they were out of order and i had gone vermin shooting !

I had the lad , screaming as i dragged him off down the lane when 3 riot vans full of police arrived .

The sergent asked what i was doing and i told him i was going vermin shooting , he wanted me to say i was going to shoot the lad , but i stuck to the vermin shooting line with the police in the back of the lead van laughing as i wound the sergent up with my answer .

The druggy errupted in screams as the sergent appologised for his lads telling me the £80 wasnt worth it and that i should let him go till they had left the area , a quick kick to his head and he was off like a rat .

Only into a headge row nearby , seeing me walk over and grab him again as the vans drove off , seeing the sergent return and explain to us that i had to let him go till they had gone out of sight , so i explained to the little smack rat that if i found him in MY village after 6:30pm i would kill him and i reluctantly let him go .

The sergent thanked me and they drove off .

The lad left the village as instructed , leaving his children in the custody of his parents due to socail services going to take them away from him ? oooh i wonder why ! .

But drugg abuse makes ordinary people do some amazingly stupid things even when they know what the outcome of these acts will be .

But this is the reality of life in England .You have to handle it yourself and any security measures that help me catch them in the act just make it more fun .

Piccy is our Fred at Corus Redcarr aged 4/12 he's now 11 ..

fred.jpg

21 hours ago, Stormin said:

Unfortunately we are not allowed to shoot the poor deprived unfortunates, who would rather steal than do honest work. 

Who said anything about shooting them? lol

On another forum I use for my business, I came across this post entitled How good is your  Security? I thought I would post this on here  for interest...  I have used this system in the NT (all equipment are watermarked within the organisation and series also numbers recorded as well. 

Here's a thought. How secure are you? I'll bet you think it's all good, however after a recent visit from Plod I was somewhat surprised at the weaknesses and bad habits I've got into.Just had a security check on my house, business premises and vans by the local plod. Very very helpful. Lots of recommendations, some extreme, some blooming sensible.As a result I have now marked all of my tools with smart water, postcoded all of them with a CREmark kit and registered it all with plod. Now this doesn't stop them getting nicked but it can put them off but most importantly if plod do catch the ba****d who nicked 'em in the first place they now have evidence and can bang em up! According to the police this is the hardest part. They recover tonnes of equipment over a year but very little is securely marked and so they can not prove that the suspect did in fact steal them and not "get them cheap off a bloke down the pub". They also struggle to return any recovered equipment.So the moral is mark all your kit clearly and in an obvious place and then be a sneaky bugger and mark it using Smartwater. The police check every piece of evidence they recover for smart water.By the way.......the Police are very aware that Ford Transits are very easy to break into. There are keys available from a variety of elements which will unlock all Ford Transit vans. This will invalidate your insurance unless you fight hard as there will be no forced entry and insurance comapnies seem reluctant to accept this key story.Anyway back to the point of this post.... I will be getting a tracker, the PC who came to see me suggested that a cheap (ish) one from Amazon with a long battery life is useful, and also a seperate alarm for the back of the van. In addition my lock up will have reinforced locks on the roller shutter, a more comprehensive alarm and a great big, ever hungry, slightly rabid, man eating wolf!!! (Sadly the last bit is not true but I can dream!)I highly recommended you try the Crime prevention guys because you'll be surprised at what bad habits you have got in to re security. Do you set the alarm ever time you leave? Do you lock the van every time you walk away? How often do you leave phones, ipads, laptops, expenisive gizmos and gadgets on display in the van?I got all this advice for free by just contacting my local crime prevention officer at the local police. Give them a ring, it'll be worth it.

2 hours ago, Triumph66 said:

On another forum I use for my business, I came across this post entitled How good is your  Security? I thought I would post this on here  for interest...  I have used this system in the NT (all equipment are watermarked within the organisation and series also numbers recorded as well. 

Here's a thought. How secure are you? I'll bet you think it's all good, however after a recent visit from Plod I was somewhat surprised at the weaknesses and bad habits I've got into.Just had a security check on my house, business premises and vans by the local plod. Very very helpful. Lots of recommendations, some extreme, some blooming sensible.As a result I have now marked all of my tools with smart water, postcoded all of them with a CREmark kit and registered it all with plod. Now this doesn't stop them getting nicked but it can put them off but most importantly if plod do catch the ba****d who nicked 'em in the first place they now have evidence and can bang em up! According to the police this is the hardest part. They recover tonnes of equipment over a year but very little is securely marked and so they can not prove that the suspect did in fact steal them and not "get them cheap off a bloke down the pub". They also struggle to return any recovered equipment.So the moral is mark all your kit clearly and in an obvious place and then be a sneaky bugger and mark it using Smartwater. The police check every piece of evidence they recover for smart water.By the way.......the Police are very aware that Ford Transits are very easy to break into. There are keys available from a variety of elements which will unlock all Ford Transit vans. This will invalidate your insurance unless you fight hard as there will be no forced entry and insurance comapnies seem reluctant to accept this key story.Anyway back to the point of this post.... I will be getting a tracker, the PC who came to see me suggested that a cheap (ish) one from Amazon with a long battery life is useful, and also a seperate alarm for the back of the van. In addition my lock up will have reinforced locks on the roller shutter, a more comprehensive alarm and a great big, ever hungry, slightly rabid, man eating wolf!!! (Sadly the last bit is not true but I can dream!)I highly recommended you try the Crime prevention guys because you'll be surprised at what bad habits you have got in to re security. Do you set the alarm ever time you leave? Do you lock the van every time you walk away? How often do you leave phones, ipads, laptops, expenisive gizmos and gadgets on display in the van?I got all this advice for free by just contacting my local crime prevention officer at the local police. Give them a ring, it'll be worth it.

I am so, so very sorry that anyone has to live life with these concerns and issues. This is really sad and I can't even imagine living in this way. I know you probably get used to it, but getting used to your wife not shaving her legs would be easier.

On 29/11/2016 at 8:39 PM, Stormin said:

Machinery etc up at the farm is marked with Smart Water. The workshop now has a very loud alarm system. I must get the code or it could be embarrasing.

When i was a local councilor , our local police woman came along to a meeting to ask for £10k towards the cost of smart water for around 1/4 of the village households .

Not a big request , but when she explained that the police were going to be going around the carboot sales checking for smart water marked items for sale .And that any one found selling marked items could be taken into custody till the results came back to prove if the marked item is not stolen - We refused the police the money .

So just a thought  - if your on your way back from a show with your prized and marked possesions in the back of a van , and are pulled over for a " routine check " by a policeman with a dragon light ( UV lamp )  .I suspect that you could be held without charge till the results come back  , could be a long weekend in the nick especially if your just heading off on a bank holiday weekend - lol ...

2 hours ago, Mister Mad Mower said:

When i was a local councilor , our local police woman came along to a meeting to ask for £10k towards the cost of smart water for around 1/4 of the village households .

Not a big request , but when she explained that the police were going to be going around the carboot sales checking for smart water marked items for sale .And that any one found selling marked items could be taken into custody till the results came back to prove if the marked item is not stolen - We refused the police the money .

So just a thought  - if your on your way back from a show with your prized and marked possesions in the back of a van , and are pulled over for a " routine check " by a policeman with a dragon light ( UV lamp )  .I suspect that you could be held without charge till the results come back  , could be a long weekend in the nick especially if your just heading off on a bank holiday weekend - lol ...

We only have 80 State Troopers to Police 70,000 square miles, they are limited to 100 miles per day. City police only police within city limits. 75 percent of Oklahoma is outside city limits and county Sheriffs usually work jails and warrants. Sometimes I go weeks without ever laying eyes on a police officer.

I thought this might be of interest which I have lifted off another forum.

I have just received this through an ecops alert system. Be warned make it as secure as possible folks.

Christmas is coming and people are looking for easy ways to make money!!!!

This is a message sent via eCops. This information has been sent on behalf of Cambridgeshire Constabulary

Dear allBetween 2000 hours on the 26/11/2016 and 0450 hours on the 27/11/2016 a business premises in Cherry Hinton Road, Great Shelford has been the subject of a break in.

There are various buildings as the location all secure. The barrier to the premises has been broken off, to gain entry to the site.

Metal containers on site have been broken into, together with a workshop where 3 chain saws and 3 strimmers were stolen, another building has also been rammed by a vehicle but nothing has been stolen from that building. Enquiries are on going. Crime Reference number:- CF0549011116

There was also a break in to business premises in Hardwick last night (30/11/2016) at around 20.20 hours. 3 to 4 offenders were seen at the premises, wearing balaclavas, only one offender has got into the building, who gained access by breaking through a window.

This offender has then started to pass strimmers and coats through the window. Fortunately offenders were disturbed and have then made off in a old style silver twin cab pick up.

The vehicle had a distinctive foreign number place, believed to be white with red writing. If anyone has any information regarding this crime or the above crime and if anyone has seen this vehicle please call 101 and quote crime reference CF0556531216.

The business premises sells high value agricultural equipment.

In light of this we are alerting businesses to be vigilant especially those selling gardening and agricultural equipment, including mowers and ride on mowers, together with those businesses that may own this type of equipment.

Make sure your buildings are as secure as possible.

If you have CCTV or alarm systems, make sure these are in good working order.

If you would benefit from a free security survey please contact your local police.If you see anybody or any vehicle acting suspiciously then please report this to us on 101.

Should you feel that there is a crime in progress then please call 999.

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 5:05 PM, Stormin said:

Ever thought of buying a shipping container? 

Think of this often, great idea. A 20 footer would help but, being a Horse Hoarder a 40 foot container best.

Next time I'm thinking of adding a peaked roof, why not? Just for looks, make it look nice and, attic storage too. :rolleyes:

I once used a 24 ft truck body, roll up rear door and a side door.

Put the truck box on railroad ties, built a ramp to drive Horses in 'n out.  :thumbs: