Sign in to follow this  
Potash123

Hayters for shillings

As you may have gathered from my posts, I restore mowers etc for a hobby. I have bought for £50 and turned an Osprey into £300 in a few weeks. The money helps but I get satisfaction doing these in my retirement. Bit shocked to find two modern non running Hayters just sold on ebay for £4.20 pence. There are two rough cuts ( 21's ) on there at the moment for £39 each. Obviously the time of year is causing the slump. Wish I had some storage room as these mowers are normally snapped up during the rest of the year. I get offered tractors and machines from local farmers, but again not enough room. No questions here, just thought I would add to a quiet forum this time of year. Merry Christmas. Colin.

Good to have something to do in retirement, Colin. Despite the popular belief some of the younger generation have, my lot included, we pensioners don't have money thrown at us. Myself I help out at a friends farm when needed. Helps with the bits and pieces I want for my tractors.

I think most of us would like more workshop and storage space. I know I would. Would one of the local farmers let you have somewhere to store things in return for a bit of help? No harm in asking.

Have a good Christmas. Norm.

I can see where you are coming from picked up a very good British junior engine (for a Howard gem) a few years back at this time of year  for just £10  on the well known auction site ...the seller even put it on a pallet  so that i could get it picked up by a  Transport company. Its just as well I don't  live in the Uk ...there is too many tempting buys....I can hardly get in the door of the shed as it is.  

About 5 years ago I purchased two hayterettes on eBay for about £20 in the end of  Febuary. The one was a runner and the 

other I wanted as it was a 1960's example. I waited about a fourtnight until people started cutting their grass and I sold the runner 

back on eBay for nearly £90. Wish I could have luck like that all the time.

Hi S1G. I currently have a Hayter 21 which is solid and all there. Two Hayterettes that run well. One Hayterette with no spark and a Mountfield auto. Yesterday I was given two petrol Hedge Trimmers, one Mac Allister which now runs great and a McCulloch Superlite which looks almost  new. They can all wait till the seasons are right. There are some strange prices on the Hayterettes on ebay, they can keep dreaming. Great hobby. The ebayers make me laugh when they state that they have not tried to start the engine. LOL