Sign in to follow this  
harryt

Briggs carb flooding itself

Hi guys, I have a modern field topper that you tow behind a quad or ride on mower. It has a Briggs and Stratton electric start engine 14.5hp. The problem I have with it is the carb is getting flooded with petrol. The fuel tank is above the engine. If I take the air filter housing off and turn it over petrol just comes spluttering out the top. Does anybody know what is causing this?

thanks Harry

10 minutes ago, nigel said:

Float stuck

I have cleaned the carb and all seemed fine, the engine was running when I first got it and now won't run.

13 minutes ago, nigel said:

Put the float in a bowl of water see if it floats, I have known them to have a little split in them before now,

Yes, they do split and an additional test is to hold it under just boiled water and watch for bubbles as the air  inside expands. Post a pic of the carb' , if it's a two piece flow jet they are known for flooding due to internal leaking where the angled emulsion tube screws in but doesn't seat properly. If you google Briggs Flow jet there is plenty of info.

The best solutions were on the old US Perr Forum which is no longer accessible but one of the former contributors has posted the gist of the solution on the current PPETEN forum - worth a read. If you are going the Pusa Jet repair kit route which will provide the necessary teflon washer the kits are still available under BS pt no 391413 or 4184 for the ten pack.

This may be of interest

http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/briggs_medium_two_piece.asp

Edited by Wristpin
Additional info

Thanks for all the info guys, I think I will probably get a replacement carb as the carb is a bit rough anyway, but I really appreciate all the help.

Harry

7 minutes ago, harryt said:

Thanks for all the info guys, I think I will probably get a replacement carb as the carb is a bit rough anyway, but I really appreciate all the help.

Harry

May still be worth looking at this as the author suggests that even the new carbs' sometimes have issues - a bit long winded but valid!!

Edited by Wristpin