4x4forks

peerless transaxle overhaul

Merry xmas all!!

Well had to get out in the workshop to escape from wrapping paper and roast spuds  today. 

Decided to overhaul the trans axle on my Hayter lawn tractor. It is a Peerless 205 series and the information available is very sketchy. 

What oil do I run in the Hydrostatic pump??? I know that the diff requires gear oil and I drained gear oil out of the pump but I am sure this is not correct. I have read that people have use 20/50w engine oil, motor cycle oil , hydraulic oil  and oil supplied by a part number .

In my experience I would use ATF in the hydrostatic pump  but what would you all suggest ???????  HELP please :)

DSC_0001.JPG

DSC_0002.JPG

It had gear oil in when I drained it ,  but the tractor is   new to me and not sure of its history.  I do not think that gear oil is correct form the trans hydro pump.

Deffo gear oil for the diff, then 10w/40 or atf for the hydro bit. I use 10w/40 in my sundstrand hydro. But peerless tended to use Mobil 424, which replaced dexron atf. You could put atf back or a reasonable engine oil in my opinion...

Brave man!

By the look of it you have a Peerless VST205 transaxle. Countax were the first OEM to fit that box in the UK and it was an unmitigated disaster. Your Hayter is possibly from a batch of machines made for them by Countax - standard K or C series machines painted green and usually with Kohler engines.

The attached service bulletin makes the point that dealers were advised not to undertake repairs but to swap out the complete box. The lack of quality control was such that some boxes never gave problems while others failed within days of being put to use . Sometimes a replacement box was so rough that it never left the workshop. Our record was two consecutive dud warranty replacements before finding one that we would let go back to the customer.

The claim that they didn't need a tow/dump valve was a bit wide of the mark and it wasn't long before they were produced with a mechanical disconnect kit to make it possible to move the machines without engine power.

Needless to say, Countax only used that box for one season.

This may be of interest

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6b6x1ihhrcns33q/Peerless VST2050001.pdf?dl=0

I think that I have some info somewhere - I'll have a look.

Edit Here's some more

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6pt795l6vksh1c7/PEERLESS 205vst Update0001.pdf?dl=0

Edited by Wristpin
Additional info added

This is great. Thanks for the information .

It also explains why there is so little info out there for this transaxle.  It is still going and I will try to keep it in good order  :rolleyes: