joegrgraham

Ransomes mg2 pto question.

Hi all, 

I've been lurking on this forum, but this is my first post.  Some of you will know me from other forums (what is the correct plural of forum?  Fora? Fori?) anyway,  for those who do not know me, I have a small collection in varying states of decreptitude,  a Trusty and a few implements,  a Merry Tiller,  Bantam and in the pending pile, a Colwood and a Monrotiller. 

My 'big'  project is an MG2,  currently in component parts,  waiting for the weather to improve so I can do some painting. 

And finally to the question,  I need to dismantle the front half of the PTO unit so that I can replace the bearing and seals.  

Does the gear on the drive shaft pull off?  And how do you split the engagement gear,  there seems to be a Cork seal in there which looks like it needs to be replaced.  Hopefully the picture will explain the bits I mean! 

Thanks, 

Joe 

Sorry,  just realised I posted in the wrong section, fat fingers, small keypad! 

DSC_0058.JPG

DSC_0059.JPG

Edited by joegrgraham

1 hour ago, joegrgraham said:

Thanks Nigel! 

Welcome enjoy the site ,ime sure some one will give you the answer soon like Norm says expeatfarmers your man 

Hi Joe

As the pto on MG2 is very rarely used I have never had to change bearings or seals on any of mine. I have had a look at the parts book and the cog is keyed on to the tapered shaft so will need pulled off. I think the engagement dog is pushed through the seal and bearing from the inside so clean off all the paint etc and push it back through. Hope that helps.