Jack rush

How can i get my lawn mower running right

My lawn mower starts fine but i have to pull the wire from the carb with my hand to start it up how can i stop that and it drives in reverse but gear 12345 it jumps in gear but dont move. Lastly when its running it dies randomly thanks for all your help.

20170125_170745.jpg

We will have to break it down into smaller bits.

when you say wire, do you mean the throttle linkage?

when it dies, will it start again? You need to check for spark or sufficient fuel.

Will it drive in reverse, but not forward at all?

Yes the throttle linkage

It can start back up after dying

It drives in reverse fine It jumps into gear 12345 but dont go anywhere

Edited by Jack rush

Sounds like you need to check its connected through to the throttle linkage and the rocker for the choke is connected correctly.

re: gearbox, I think the part I've circled here is possibly broken or the bit that operates it is.

this is my sons gearbox as we rebuilt it, so we know exactly how it works...

you might have to split it to take take a look, it's a messy job as it is filled with bentonite grease.

IMG_4367.JPG

Welcome to the forum. As meadowfield said I would think one of the selector keys inside the gearbox has broken ( the part he has circled ) I had the same problem a while back with one mine and they do tend to break and you can get spares online. 

Harry

they are called gearbox selector keys, you need to cross reference from the parts diagram. They all look the same, but I don't know if they are.

You need to open it up though first to check it is those that have failed

The Peerless Transaxle illustrated is an early one with only two selector keys, later ones have four. The keys do not have to be broken to cause the lurching and jumping out of gear, just worn. It is the small triangular bit that does the work and engages into the free running gears to lock them to the shaft. If those triangles have rounded edges they will not make positive engagement BUT the matching faces of the gears do wear as well , so you need to inspect them as well.

General wear and tear is accelerated by " impatient gear changing" - trying to shift on the move .

Don't even think about trying to make new selector keys from "key steel" - waste of time!

The box would originally have been filled with Bentonite grease which is still available but tends to dry out and be pushed to the outside walls of the casing where it ceases to lubricate where needed. Heavy semi-fluid grease is a better bet but if you are unable to obtain a small quantity , take a couple of handfuls of  medium grease and stir in some SAE 90 or 120 oil and ladle that in. The box may leak a smidge but the internals will be lubricated!

This may be useful.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/69xl46g2qesbctv/Peerless 800 series transaxle0001.pdf?dl=0

Edited by Wristpin
Dropbox images added.

2 hours ago, Jack rush said:

My peerless transaxle model number is 4.103.566 but I can't find shift keys for it if anyone can help me.

That number is the patent number, not the model .

You have an 800 series box, second one down in this Dropbox file.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cdfen8aaxl75m8m/Peerless MST selector keys.0001.pdf?dl=0