Stormin

Wheel mod.

The standard rear wheels on the C-121, (Black Horse), though fitted with ag tyres, are a little wide for ploughing. The earlier narrower wheels tend to be a bit hard to come by.

I acquired a pair of 700 x 12 ag tyres off the Fife Pooman. These had come off a walk behind and practically new. Tubes with them as well. Bit narrow for the standard wheels, but as I had some spare wheels a plan was formed. People widen wheels, so how about going t'other way?

Off to a local engineering firm with a pair of wheels. A week later I had six wheel parts and my wallet £20 lighter.

DSCF0042.thumb.JPG.f21a206d9bb1aa96edee9c12e1a9ed28.JPG

Today I had some workshop time and started to build them up.

Gavin who had machined them for me, had marked them up. So each half would match it's respective other half. The cut out centre pieces I cut through once to make a band that would hold the two halves in position. Yes, I know. I should have taken a photo.

The band was placed round the two wheel halves and clamped in position. I only used one G clamp, as I only had one big enough and moved it round as I tacked the band in place. With both wheels done and the welds cleaned up a bit, the result is below.   

DSCF0044.JPG

Not pretty I know, but they will be. Next job is to clean off the old paint. One job I really enjoy. :rolleyes:

Bit more done now. Wheels all cleaned up over the last couple of days. Had to do it the hard way, as damp air and the need for a bigger compressor, didn't allow the use of the blast cabinet. Electric drill and rotary wire brushes.

Not a bad job if I do say mesel'.

DSCF0002.thumb.JPG.95ed1676a4f0c5fdda10a015a6d23b67.JPG

The valve holes had to be opened out to allow for the tube valve.  The centres were then  treated to some filler, (NOT the cement, Chris), either side of the bands to do away with any sharp edges. Smoothed off then taped.

58a472de3fbbe_DSCF0003(1).thumb.JPG.123679fa0cd38d9ecaeb49376b933ecc.JPG

I was going to prime them, but rain stopped play.

Looking good Norm. I am pleased you are doing this as this is something I need to do at some point and I can learn from the master :). Do you know how the engineering company did the cuts? I was thinking of using a rotary table on my mill as I think they are too large for my lathe.

Iain

1 hour ago, slf-uk said:

Looking good Norm. I am pleased you are doing this as this is something I need to do at some point and I can learn from the master :). Do you know how the engineering company did the cuts? I was thinking of using a rotary table on my mill as I think they are too large for my lathe.

Iain

I also need to do this to make some 6" rims, I was going to bolt the rim to a hub attached to the gearbox and mount an angle grinder some how, and then just turn the rim to make the cuts.

Veeeeery nice Norm, I'm going to have to do the same with mine now!

You'll notice the increased height when driving, especially i you've raised the fender for clearance.

If you're thinking of wheel weights, Aldi have been selling some nice cast iron 10kg ones that fit nicely inside the wheels after shaving a couple of mill off the rim.

Drew a blank on the weights. Guess they have all be snapped up by body builder types.

Got the wheels top coated today. Got told they looked like new. Then got asked when I was going to do the patio by her studio. :rolleyes:

DSCF0003.thumb.JPG.5daea8312bd77f7430ea552e9b08f2a0.JPG

Got them fitted as well. :)

DSCF0004.thumb.JPG.245d7240fdc0bcff3b3bbc7be0b59528.JPG

Spacers made and fitted to lift the fender by 7/8th".  This showed up three more things to modify.

(1) The hole for the filler cap needs to be opened up. You can't get hold of the cap now.

DSCF0005.thumb.JPG.384f9e9f97157999a9f44d23244739f6.JPG

(2) The tyre fouls the back edge of the foot plate. Needs the edge trimmed and/or bent forward.

(3) Also the front bottom edge of the fender will need to be altered, to allow the foot plate back to be bent forward.

DSCF0006.thumb.JPG.3953723a14d4a734451576a7cd9aa903.JPG

Deciding not to alter things to much, I cut off the folded edge of the foot plate and that has give 3/8" to 1/2" of clearance for the tyre. Next, out with the jigsaw and I opened up the hole for the fuel tank filler cap .        

Put everything back together and time for a photo shoot.

DSCF0008.thumb.JPG.dd2a68bc4d6bda4d021b25e97031e29e.JPG

DSCF0009.thumb.JPG.b1bc2f35724bb4b8f2911b5550adf223.JPG

And a comparison photo.

DSCF0010.thumb.JPG.541fc80e298ace8aca9c971c281025a3.JPG

By 'eck! :o Wasn't expecting that much difference. 3-1/4" difference.

That throws up another problem. Getting enough ploughing depth. Maximum I will be able to get is just over 4" deep. Could be another addition to the Black Horse topic.