the showman

Briggs engine id

Ive got a briggs engine 6 hp horizontal shaft with no numbers on the cowling unless its under the decal.

i think its 1960s ?.

is there any other way i can id it ?

it will run when cold till it gets hot then stops, i think the coil is breaking down,

any help will be much appreciated 

Hi Chris, Late 50s-early 60s.  Follow this link to an earlier post on I.D same style to give you an idea of what you have-   Briggs I.D. 

If you do happen to find any numbers where they are supposed to be, put 'em up here.

EDIT- Is it a cast iron Crankcase or Ali?.

Regards

18 minutes ago, Anglo Traction said:

Hi Chris, Late 50s-early 60s.  Follow this link to an earlier post on I.D same style to give you an idea of what you have-   Briggs I.D. 

If you do happen to find any numbers where they are supposed to be, put 'em up here.

EDIT- Is it a cast iron Crankcase or Ali?.

Regards

Did'nt take to much notice when I picked it up today, the tractor was all in bits and I just grabbed the housing i'll have a look tomorrow

4 hours ago, the showman said:

Ive got a briggs engine 6 hp horizontal shaft with no numbers on the cowling unless its under the decal.

i think its 1960s ?.

is there any other way i can id it ?

it will run when cold till it gets hot then stops, i think the coil is breaking down,

any help will be much appreciated 

...... or the condenser or even tight valve clearances.

1 minute ago, Wristpin said:

...... or the condenser or even tight valve clearances.

Thanks, only picked it up today but the previous owner always had trouble with it.

is the valve clearance adjustable ?

from memory when it stops it lose's its spark 

1 hour ago, the showman said:

Ive spent some more time looking for numbers on the cowling without luck, the only thing I can come up with is 142301 model and spec 019701

i'm looking for part numbers for coil and condenser

Hello Chris,

I just had a look at "Briggs Bits". Entered your model number and a few parts pages are available to view. Had 296824 for the coil (possibly old number) & 29861 for the condensor. 

Best have a look yourself to confirm.

Hello 

If the first number is correct it confirms that the engine is 6 hp , horizontal shaft,with flojet carburettor, and  pneumatic (air vane)governor. There should be another 8 digit number the first two digits of this number is the year.You should be able to find a parts list for your engine on the briggs website using the 142301 number

1 minute ago, Phyliss said:

Hello Chris,

I just had a look at "Briggs Bits". Entered your model number and a few parts pages are available to view. Had 296824 for the coil (possibly old number) & 29861 for the condensor. 

Best have a look yourself to confirm.

That's great, thanks for that

On 25/02/2017 at 8:54 PM, the showman said:

Thanks, only picked it up today but the previous owner always had trouble with it.

is the valve clearance adjustable ?

from memory when it stops it lose's its spark 

Yes, the valve clearances are "adjustable"  - if too tight a small amount may be ground off the end of the valve stem to achieve the book clearance. This is done after any valve refacing, seat cutting and lapping etc.

Loss of spark may well be down to a faulty coil or condenser, but first check the contact breaker points gap and and also that the breaker plunger is not sticking in the block when warmed up. If that happens the points are held open until things cool down.

I've found an old micro fiche covering engines 142300 - 142457 and the relevant parts are shown as-

Coil 296834, condenser 29861, contact breaker set 29667, breaker plunger 65704

If you are not concerned about "originality" and the coil is good, the points and condenser can be replaced with a solid state trigger module such as a Meco or a Nova. If the coil is kaput and unavailable and the engine has electric start , there is a "work around" using an external car type coil as used on some Kohlers.  

Thats a great help , I'll have to see what parts are available when i get five minutes and go from there.

at least this is a start to work from, i think its had new points but will check with the previous owner

Model 142301 and spec 019701 is the engine fitted to a 1962 Bolens 600, model 181-01 or 181-02. When fitted to the tractor it would have been electric start, spec 019801 was the manual start version.

Hopefully confirming engine age will help you with parts.

Iain

I got 2 Bolens 600 Chris.

Both in need of work. One has a briggs which is rope start in bits & the other has a honda in it

Aim to make a good one from the 2 

Look forward to some picsB)