the showman

The showman has a senior moment

I went up to a friends place on Saturday not 20 miles from here to collect a set of rear wheel weights and while i was there i saw the little tractor they came off.

It was hiding in a dark container looking all forlorn to be losing part of its rearend so a deal was struck and it was loaded in my van.

Its in good condition and will enjoy its new home with the Horses.

Heres a few photos for you to look at and i need a new coil if anyone has one.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

That's quite a nice find and a Bolens as well and with wheel weights........

Was it that clean when you loaded it up or have you been busy with the soap and water.   :)

Just now, DougC said:

That's quite a nice find and a Bolens as well and with wheel weights........

Was it that clean when you loaded it up or have you been busy with the soap and water.   :)

That's exactly how I found it, the hood has been repainted at some point, I'm just going to get some decals and leave as is, I think the wheels should be white but will wait for one of the Bolens boys to tell me the correct colours 

I agree Chris. I am not qualified to comment on original paint colors but if it was mine the steering wheel would be black...... Or at least it would be after I had my greasy dirty hands all over it for a while...... ;)

Now that is very nice Chris. That is mutch better than my 50 shades & rust I have with my 2

You can see how small they are. I have a mower deck for one of mine

The wheels should be white I think

That looks like Johns gaff?

:omg: a Bolens 600 :hdance:

That's a great find Chris :thumbs: and with wheel weights too :jaw:

Yes wheels should be white and I think yours was gold at one time if you look closely at the photo of the rear axle. I can't make out the serial # but that will confirm date etc.

Enjoy!

Wow Chris, that Bolens 600 looks fantastic and is in really good condition. The best bit is that it looks 100% complete and I could not spot any missing parts. Looking at ID plate it looks like a 181-04 which would make it 1964 and one of the last batch of 600's. If I have read it incorrectly this is the details for all of the 181 models:

1962 - 181-01 & 181-02

1963 - 181-03

1964 - 181-04

181 signifies that it is electric start, it would be a 180 if it was manual start.

This is the parts manual for a 181-04, I have the parts manuals for the other models if it turns out not to be an 04

600 180-04 181-04 - Parts Manual.pdf

This is the owners manual

600-800-900 - Owners Manual.pdf

My Bolens buddies and others have commented about colours however here is the 1964 sales brochure which should help

58131-Bolens 1964 Brochure.pdf

As a suggestion, I would put the wheel weights back on and try ploughing with the Bolens. :)

19 hours ago, Alan said:

Chris did say though that he was going to start collecting Bolens so that they don't all end up in Norfolk.

If think you may have misheard Alan. I am sure he would have said he that he has found a lovely Bolens which needs to come to Norfolk. I'll wait for the call :)

Iain

4 minutes ago, Chris said:

With all this talk of getting it going I will have to get mine going . I call it Rusty atm.

Any luck with a coil yet Chris?

Rusty? More like Basket Case!:P

in your hands, it will be a great example.:bow:

27 minutes ago, Triumph66 said:

I will post up derails of the sleeve hitch Chris. I know Chris Stoneman got one that you could see & take details?

I believe Dave (OldBuzzard) posted the sleeve hitch plans in the download section of this forum. These plans were created by a very good friend of mine in America, Michael.

Iain

1 hour ago, slf-uk said:

I believe Dave (OldBuzzard) posted the sleeve hitch plans in the download section of this forum. These plans were created by a very good friend of mine in America, Michael.

Iain

Yes ive found it, thanks Iain, downloaded it ready to print it off

2 hours ago, slf-uk said:

Wow Chris, that Bolens 600 looks fantastic and is in really good condition. The best bit is that it looks 100% complete and I could not spot any missing parts. Looking at ID plate it looks like a 181-04 which would make it 1964 and one of the last batch of 600's. If I have read it incorrectly this is the details for all of the 181 models:

1962 - 181-01 & 181-02

1963 - 181-03

1964 - 181-04

181 signifies that it is electric start, it would be a 180 if it was manual start.

This is the parts manual for a 181-04, I have the parts manuals for the other models if it turns out not to be an 04

600 180-04 181-04 - Parts Manual.pdf

This is the owners manual

600-800-900 - Owners Manual.pdf

My Bolens buddies and others have commented about colours however here is the 1964 sales brochure which should help

58131-Bolens 1964 Brochure.pdf

As a suggestion, I would put the wheel weights back on and try ploughing with the Bolens. :)

If think you may have misheard Alan. I am sure he would have said he that he has found a lovely Bolens which needs to come to Norfolk. I'll wait for the call :)

Iain

Just looking at the brochure and its different to mine ? it has wider wheels, different seat and mine was gold before it was painted brown ?

16 hours ago, the showman said:

Yes ive found it, thanks Iain, downloaded it ready to print it off

All Bolens Tube frame attachments (assuming you have the correct brackets) will fit any of the tractors from the 16 year production. The exception to this is the 600, which has a shorter wheelbase. I believe a 600 has a wheelbase of 40 inches with the other's being 43 inches. The plans for the sleeve hitch are fine for the bracket on a 600 but you will need to make a shorter lift lever, not sure how much shorter.

16 hours ago, the showman said:

Just looking at the brochure and its different to mine ? it has wider wheels, different seat and mine was gold before it was painted brown ?

We love a good Bolens mystery :) The 600 was made 1962-1965. From the ID tag, are you able to confirm if the model number is 181-04? The first bit of the number has to be 181-0 it's the last number which is critical. It is possible the tractor you have was made up from parts from at least one other at some point but it is too early to jump to that conclusion

Only the 1962 and 1963 models were originally painted gold and the 1962 had the throttle in the centre of the steering column, so yours is not a 1962. The 1962 model had a few other difference too. The 1964 and 1965 models were painted white and brown with some red bits. As such it is possible yours is a 1963 but if it is the model number would be 181-03.

Originally the seat would have come with a cover that goes over the metal frame. To me, the metal seat on yours looks right. Not sure about wheel size although it should be fitted with 6.00-12 and 4.00-8 tyres.

I am sure the other Bolens boys will jump in to point out any mistakes I have made with this.

Iain

I do have a sleeve hitch with my 600. I can't recall if I have the lever for it but will check as I need to clean up/ de rust my Brinly plough anyway.  If I do I can co pare the length with the other one.

You got a good one there Chris and hopefully I will see it in the metal one day when I am back in Sussex.

Managed to sneak into the back of the van while Pam was walking the dog.

Had another look at the id tag which reads 181- 04- 28146.

The wheels were originally white and looks like the tractor was originally gold.

It has 400 x 8 front tyres and 600 x 12 rears