Hi all, 

My mate has just acquired an M1. 

Unfortunately,  someone has rather aggressively sanded the cowling,  thus obliterating the serial number. 

Is there anywhere else he may find the engine number? 

Thanks 

Joe 

Presume that you are referring to Briggs and Stratton engine numbers although some early Mountfields used both Aspera or Kirby Lauson engines ? To completely obliterate B and S numbers it must have been some pretty heavy handed sanding!  Some images may help to work back from "what M1s were fitted with data". Just to complicate matters I believe that Mountfield used the M1 model designation for two different machines over the years. 

It looks like you have a briggs built in 1975 possibly 5hp the first two numbers are not that easy to see.They give the cubic capacity. From my own machines if the first two numbers are 13 that's 5hp, 14 is 6hp

The picture helps a great deal. My eyes ain't so good, but I reckon that number reads 100902-0349-01. which is a 10 cubic inch model, about 4hp with a vertical Pulsa-Jet Carb fitted.

As Reiver says, it's a 1975 build date (15th Oct).

So as luck will have it, this Parts Manual available to download covers 100 models, so you can I.D any parts for your engine. Click or tap on the Link-

LINK Briggs100 

For the Operators Manual, this one covers several engine sizes, but the same procedures-
LINK Briggs Man  

Regards