Oldjimturbine

Military Ohlsson rice

Hello again.  This is the second military engine I just bought recently, hoping it wasn't a mistake.  I found dried dirt or dust, outside and inside the engine cover.  Attached are pictures.  Any recommendations on cleaning it?  Does it look salvageable?  The recoil was stuck, but working better after I lubricsted it, but not sure how to tackle the dirt.  

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

By the appearance of the rope in the recoil, doesn't look like it has much run time. The ropes always get dirty and oily which turn them dark grey when they get used.

Do not try and start it before removing the old air filter foam, it will get sucked into the engine.

I use small bristle brushes or tooth brushes dipped in gasoline to clean them and a bunch of disposable shop towels or just paper towels. Blow it off with an air compressor first but not into that air filter! Then dry brush it to get all the loose stuff off, then the gasoline. Stinky job but it works.

Once you get the carb apart the primer button will loosen up.

That should clean up well, looks in good condition. I also use fuel/gas for cleaning at home, at work we use various expensive cans of spray cleaner for cleaning stuff there, these are mostly petroleum based, but fuel/gas works just as well.

I don't have a compressor at home, but I do take the air filters to work and use the air line to remove the last remains of the old filter foam, before fitting new foam.

David