Sign in to follow this  
Stormin

A Right Ransome Day.

As Jonathan, (expeatfarmer) was not going to be able to attend the HVC ploughing match this year, he kindly offer one of his crawlers and a plough, to anyone who wanted to enter. I kindly accepted his offer and volunteered my mate Dunc. Never having driven a Ransome before, though many other agricultural machines, we met at Jonathans last Monday so Dunc could have a drive and see the plough he would use.

DSCF0017.thumb.JPG.07f984a6aefc8e6ac5ce910be727cc0f.JPG

DSCF0018.thumb.JPG.973a887dd9bceab99470d51dac1c4657.JPG

MG5 imported from the south of France along with the three furrow plough hanging on the back. You'll notice, now I've told you, the plough at the rear is off set by about 2". Why?, you ask. Haven't a clue.

We collected tractor and plough today and took it to Dunc's for a bit of practice. Neither of us having any idea of setting things up. The afternoon was spent freeing things up and with much debate, a couple of trial runs. More will be done tomorrow or Saturday, depending on the weather.

Below are some shots of the plough.

DSCF0019.thumb.JPG.f8d691e9806fed85667b1375fc439694.JPG

DSCF0020.thumb.JPG.62a3b7ecb5343d33f604ceb021bcf4a4.JPG

DSCF0021.thumb.JPG.e448f662df0a1c9509687ff769255d7f.JPG

DSCF0022.thumb.JPG.9509e976961c146a476b34030fcfba17.JPG

That's the plough which came with my MG40, I always did wonder if it would actually do a good job. Time will tell, although I don't think you will wiping any prizes with it.

Yes we did Jonathan. Trouble with Duncs field the grass is rather long and tufty. First attempt as we got it from you, the third plough was stopping it digging in.

We raised the land wheels and removed the third plough and went down about 9". Stopped the tractor. We were going to have another go today, trying different settings. But as you'll know, it's a bit wild up in them thar hills. Bad enough down here.

Maybe tomorrow.

We realise a disc is needed but we haven't got one. The back plough is off already. We'll see what we can come up with tomorrow.

Just had a thought. By back plough do you mean the second one and just use one plough?

I have had a look at some French machines with the same plough, I would say it is important that the plough chassis runs parallel to the ground so rather than moving the depth wheels, try raising the shares on the legs so that frame is level when two shares are in the ground.  

Found a disc but it was to big and no way to fasten it to the frame. Dunc had removed the second share and we fitted a depth wheel to the back. Ploughed better and should be even better in a stubble field. Tomorrow we will see.