RadRacer203

Tiny Tiger Parts

I was running my Tiny Tiger the other day when it started missing and then cut out. Turns out the flywheel key is sheared off. Anyone know where I can get a new one and maybe a handle since mine is missing? And while I have it apart, does anyone know how to get the generator part off the engine? I'd like to clean it up while I have it apart.

There are two types of flywheel key, the early engines had a steel key and the later a aluminium key (which is slightly smaller), if your Tiny Tiger is the one in the linked thread below. you will need the aluminium key. I would suggest asking Wallfish or Webhead on here for one.

If they don't have any, it is possible to make them if you have access to a small lathe, I have made a few for my engines as well as a special in-between size for fitting later flywheels to early engines (I had to do this as early starter dogs are not available).

I don't know of anywhere that sells modern keys of the correct size & material.

I did suggest making a handle in that thread, do you need the measurements?

The only way to get an original would be from another Tiny Tiger, as I don't know of any source for NOS spares for the generator.

There is a thread created by Wallfish showing how to take the Tiny Tiger generator apart for restoration or repairs, link below;

David

Awesome, that helps a lot. My generator had the aluminum key in it, and as for the handle, I actually just picked up a trashed generator that has the handle and a few other pieces in better shape than mine that I'll probably use for parts. Not sure if it has the right key though

I have purchased some aluminum stock from Home Depot that was the same thickness, cut a small piece and filed it to size. Not real easy

dealing with such a tiny piece but I have done it many times with success. You MUST be innovative and resourceful with these things.

Just remembered I took a couple of pictures last time I made some new flywheel keys.

It was made from an aluminium rod that was the closest in diameter to the original key.

A disc was turned to the same thickness as the slot in the crankshaft, the disc was then parted off & cut into two halves. A small piece of U section plastic (cut from a document binder strip) was used to hold the half disc for filing the height to fit the flywheel & crankshaft.

Webhead's method for making the key from aluminium sheet stock sounds perfect if you don't have a lathe.

David

58f50df896e73_Newflywheelkey1.thumb.jpg.c852f8a03aa17001685d87ac4194335b.jpg58f50dfb7443b_Newflywheelkey2.thumb.jpg.a47ea5fee012f95c56f29710d22c2c0f.jpg58f50dfe3abcb_Newflywheelkey3.thumb.jpg.2f59345e2e8e6f5774e82a5d628c0aa1.jpg

Just got my parts machine in the mail and combined the best parts of both to make one good one, but I broke the spark plug. Does anyone know what kind it takes? All I can see is that it's a Champion and the number starts with UY. Other than that, it's got great spark, a new flywheel key, a handle and a gas tank that doesn't leak!

11 hours ago, RadRacer203 said:

I broke the spark plug. Does anyone know what kind it takes? All I can see is that it's a Champion and the number starts with UY.

That will be a Champion UY6 10mm spark plug, later engines with the 14mm spark plug used either a Champion CJ8 or Champion CJ14.

You may find that the current production Champion spark plugs do not have a re-moveable terminal nut, the modern CJ8 spark plugs I bought are definitely not re-moveable, not sure about the others though as the new CJ14 I bought turned out to be new old stock made in Canada and I have never bought any new UY6 as they are expensive over here, I did buy a box of new old stock from the US though. The non re-moveable terminal nut is only a problem with earlier engines that don't use a HT lead with a spark plug cap.

David

58fc7dd68d6ef_ORsparkplugs.jpg.e1e55ce3fa7d7b6fa95ffab694cdf22f.jpg

Just got my Tiger back together today, and I know it'll run, I got a few pop out of it, but it's not pumping fuel to the carb. Would this mean I need a new diaphragm? The tank looks clean so I don't think it has a clog in the pickup

14934130398602142713689.jpg

Very very rarely you come across an original diaphragm that isn't dried out or cracked, has yours been changed already or by the previous owner? As you have had it running before.

Some carbs have a second small fuel filter in the bottom half of the carb, I had a similar problem with a Tiger that wouldn't run after being restored the previous year, it had the filter which was clogged preventing fuel getting to the carb.

There was an O&R service bulletin recommending that the carb fuel filter should be removed as it caused too many problems, later carbs don't have the second fuel filter.

SAM_5024a.thumb.jpg.0f9da18fe06391ae29ab985c41cd4732.jpg

I just cleaned the filter on mine, as the tank filter is missing and the in-line filter I bought still lets some dirt through.

I should really replace the missing tank filter, I haven't yet tried removing the steel panel from this type of tank, but others on here have successfully removed them by heating around the panel to loosen the glue/sealant holding them together, you could probably fix your original larger tank if it was leaking from the seal around the panel.

Also I had a closer look at the picture, are the two gaskets missing from between the carb assembly and the induction housing? That is the only other thing I can think of, as the screw holding the carb looks too long and I can't see the gaskets, you will get air drawn in if the gaskets are missing.

David

59049cf4e87ed_c1TinyTiger.jpg.4195f8c2c2f9be110064688bfd450ddb.jpg

I just double checked everything and cleaned the filter. The filter was clogged up and I apparently forgot to tighten down that screw, but still nothing. Maybe the diaphragm went bad while I wasn't running it? And where can I find a new one?

Finally got the Tiny Tiger running. Long story short, I've got a big gash and a bunch of bruises across my foot and I need a new flywheel and key. Anyone have one?

If it's running why do you need another key & flywheel and what happened to for it to land on your foot? :jaw:

A flywheel shouldn't be to hard to find, but you may have to make a key as we mentioned before, if no one has a spare one.

David

Well, the flywheel nut came off, and the flywheel fell on the ground and broke some fins off, and also wrecked the taper where it goes on the crankshaft. I'd try to repair it, but the slot for the key is wrecked really badly.

Ouch.

I wouldn't recommend trying to repair a flywheel with broken fins if the taper was OK, it would be completely out of balance. I have one here that someone has glued some bits of sheet aluminium to, it's scrap in my opinion.

Also check the flywheel nut hasn't got stripped threads.

David

I have a flywheel. You're close by so you can pick it up. Are you in Shrewsbury?

Just don't have time right now for shipping stuff, just ask Factory! LoL

Thanks Wallfish, but Webhead had me covered. I just got the flywheel in today and it runs great! The last problem with it is a very leaky gas cap. Is there any remedy for that?

The fuel/gas cap usually has a thin gasket inside, maybe it's missing or damaged, the cap for the Tiny Tiger base tank also has a vent hole, I have a Champ generator where the cap has been modified to allow the vent to be open or sealed.

David

The original gasket was in sad shape, so I tried to replace it with some material I had lying around, but it hasn't worked. I'm wondering what material to make the gasket from

On 5/11/2017 at 0:42 AM, RadRacer203 said:

The original gasket was in sad shape, so I tried to replace it with some material I had lying around, but it hasn't worked. I'm wondering what material to make the gasket from

You should be able to find gasket paper/card available in small amounts on ebay, I got a pack of various different thickness for a couple of pounds. Then choose the size closest to the original and cut a new one, don't forget the vent hole. I would have measured mine, but don't want to damage it as it won't come out easily.

David

591606ce777dc_GasketPaper.thumb.jpg.ded48366ccdc2a3a4a2d74536f0733e2.jpg

591606cd2e51f_Fuelcap.thumb.jpg.6d48a196c86a685bd948967bbcc5fd73.jpg

:WMOM:

Webhead or Wallfish on here should be able to supply a new carb diaphragm for your O&R powered Tiny Tiger generator, not sure if Webhead has many carb parts left though, the carbs are often either damaged or missing parts.

David