Sign in to follow this  
Triumph66

Bolens 600 up and running

At last I got around to sorting out the 600 which I bought from the States. Ohio to be precise. I replaced the fuel sediment bowl as it was missing the screw. I checked the plug and it was clean and turned it over and then it fired up happily. I let it ran for a wee while to warm it up. I then selected the gears. Nothing happened. Then I remembered I needed to put the cotter pin back in. I gave it a quick run in 1 and 2 and reverse. It was surprisingly nippy and managed to ride over the wood chips fairly easily. I decided to drain the transmission oil and engine oil which I duly did and replaced it with fresh oil suitable for the engine and the transmission. I gave it another run (in fact three runs) around the yard and track. I finally went into third gear and that was really nippy. I them decided enough was enough and put it into neutral and tried to engage another gear. Nothing happened at all. I looked at the belts which were slipping and noticed that one was off the pulleys. I managed to get it back on but still couldn't select a gear. The clutch pedal was down onto the floor and wouldn't come back up. I pushed it back to my storage marvelling at how quiet these 600 are....

i think a new new set of belts are in the cards.