Oldjimturbine

Chicken Power Bicycle Assist Engine Kit Silver, 1973

Hello.  I just purchased a chicken power bicycle kit, looks like it was never used with the box, dated 1973, silver colored, with toggle switch.  It doesn't have a spark plug.  Is that normal for the later kits?  I also noticed what looks like oil seepage on parts of the clutch, unless it's grease, not sure.  This one has a carb diaphragm and pump, but I don't have the kit yet, just looking at the picture.  Is this the one that has the rubber in the carb, or did they make some of them different?  I don't intend to use it, may look to do something to try and preserve the logo on the tank and engine.

No complete engine or tool/kit would have been supplied without a spark-plug, someone has lost it. Looks like it would have had a Champion CJ8 or CJ14 fitted as it's the 14mm cylinder.

The oil could have leaked from one of the seals or from the gearbox gasket, the only way to find out if they used a rubber seal or ball bearing in the carb would be to take it apart.

David

Thanks for the info.   I thought those later models didn't have the primer button, or pump, on them at all.  So this model will most likely have the rubber piece inside.  The person who sold the kit pulled the starter, and told me it was sticky recoiling, maybe that's where the oil seepage came from.  I was looking at prices back in 2007, and they went up for this kit.  Someone has an older version asking for 850, but will take 500, which I still think is way too high for a small engine.

The service manual gives engine model numbers 13A-181, 13B-328, 13B-340, 13B-341 & 13B-406 as being used for the Chicken Power, the first has the ball bearing and the last has the rubber seal (spares were only available as part of a repair kit), I haven't got info for the others.
I have a few later engines without the carb primer button, any engine with a gravity feed fuel tank doesn't need the primer button, however two of the later engines I have with no primer button have a base tank. I had questioned this in the past and it was suggested they should have a primer button, the later parts diagrams don't help as they show both types in the exploded diagram.
The parts lists for both the models 13A-181 & 13B-406 give the spark-plug fitted as type CJ14.

David

Looks like your Chicken Power is fitted with a carb primer button, I also noticed it was made under the Advanced Engine Products Inc name (which is on the box, instructions & the engine blower housing), so it probably will have the rubber seal on the diaphragm arm.

David

5914465691f07_AdvancedEngineProductsIncChickenPower.thumb.jpg.68f0906209dae6d35bc86c401de8468f.jpg

Thank you again for the info.  I liked the older one, but it was sold for 650.  Im not going to use it, so I guess it doesn't matter if it has a rubber seal or not.  How come this seal can't be replicated if its only rubber?  

The rubber seal is a not just a flat piece, it's attached through the diaphragm arm and seems to have a little movement to allow it to seal properly. Not sure how you could make one or work out the correct material to use. Here are a couple of pictures of a diaphragm arm with the rubber seal.

David

SAM_9048a.jpg.ec3c5b342b325b3de7caa495f9cf6099.jpg

SAM_9045a.jpg.f6fb6274f75468ea6835301c4064ad13.jpg

That is the only spare I have (which came with my Aquabug outboards), I'm not sure if it is new though as the packet was already open.

David

On 6/6/2017 at 8:51 AM, factory said:

The rubber seal is a not just a flat piece, it's attached through the diaphragm arm and seems to have a little movement to allow it to seal properly. Not sure how you could make one or work out the correct material to use. Here are a couple of pictures of a diaphragm arm with the rubber seal.

Kohler engine carbs use a rubber tipped float needle seal which looks like it could work as a replacement. Unfortunately I just haven't had the time to try and get one to work.

IMG_0058.JPG.688b854be72f168a738306e33a810749.JPG

I found this picture of a Orline bicycle motor. The owner said it ran up to 20mph. I would love to have that when I was younger.

O&R-Orline bike.jpg

We had a Japanese TAS version of one and we ran the c#@& out of that thing. No helmets, flip flops and shorts on. Modified the friction pulley to make it bigger and therefore faster. I was probably about 10 years old with 2 older brothers. They used to make me the crash dummy for mini bikes and go karts to see if our modifications worked or not. Ah, the good old days

I'm sure a read somewhere that some people removed the governor vane to try & get more speed out of the engine too.

The standard bike motor kit was supposed to achieve a max of 15 to 18mph, probably to keep within speed restrictions for bicycles, note that they may not be legal to use on UK roads either (would need annual testing, insurance, drivers license, road tax...... etc).

The original kits also came with a selection of parts to allow it to fit different bike frames.

David