Webhead

Carb Application

I received a bunch of these Tillotson carbs in an O&R parts lot many years ago and I am trying to figure out what they went to. They have the same primer button as an

O&R carb and I figured that an extremely resourceful guy like David could help. Thanks in advance.

DSCN2713.JPG

DSCN2714.JPG

DSCN2715.JPG

Didn't take too long to figure out. :D

It's mentioned in the book "Small Air-Cooled Engines" 16th edition from Intertec Publishing, I have had two different editions of this book shipped over here, the 16th edition covers the Compact I, II, II, 13A, 13B & 20A models of O&R/Advanced Engine Products engines.

Your mystery carb is a Tillotson model HU and it was apparently fitted to late production model 13B engines for constant speed operation, it is pre-calibrated for constant speed operation only and has no fuel/speed adjustments or throttle, the primer button is is used for starting enrichment to allow extra fuel flow. Also no air vane governor is fitted.

There is also an exploded diagram of the carb.

I now just need to have a look for a strange 13B in my saved pictures.

David

Well I've failed to find any pictures of any model 13B engines fitted with this carb, my service manual folder doesn't have it either, I guess it must have been available towards to end of production of these engines from Advanced Engine Products as in the book in the previous post mentioned. I only have a couple of engines (including a Drillgine) in my collection with the AEP name instead of O&R.

The next question is does it need any extra parts to fit to a 13B?

I don't suppose you could save me one for when I next need some spares? Which could be soon as I have just run out of the early style bearings with the plastic housings.

David

Not sure why the screws in this one are all marred up, but I will send you some with good screws, no charge other than shipping.

And yes, the only HU's that I could find on the web had screw adjustments for low and hi. These carbs are naked, except for the cool primer button.

16 hours ago, Webhead said:

Not sure why the screws in this one are all marred up, but I will send you some with good screws, no charge other than shipping.

Someone probably didn't use a screwdriver of the correct size, seems to happen far too often judging by the amount of chewed up screw-heads I find.

16 hours ago, Webhead said:

And yes, the only HU's that I could find on the web had screw adjustments for low and hi. These carbs are naked, except for the cool primer button.

I too could only find the manufacturers manual for the standard type HU carb on the web.

Here is a picture of the correct diagram, I'm now slightly puzzled why the one in the first post has an extra inlet, has someone swapped the cover? :scratchhead:

5914b69e5a238_TillotsonHUCarbForAEPModel13B.thumb.jpg.ba293b8c94e4ae1f5292a52873a57390.jpg

David

David, they all have two inlets and the one pictured is the only one with marred screws. I realized that it was a poor screwdriver job, just wondering why somebody

would have taken a new carb apart.

1 hour ago, Webhead said:

You are definitely the best detective that we have! Does it look like it is mounted with an adapter?

Here you go, looks like it had a different housing.

5.jpg

6.jpg

Edited by Ghosty

12 hours ago, Webhead said:

You are definitely the best detective that we have! Does it look like it is mounted with an adapter?

I'm certainly doing well to solve/identify some of the mystery parts & tools. There are still a few more to solve though.

Thanks to Andrew for adding the pictures as the link will become dead a few months after they are sold.

I've edited the pictures and it looks like there is an adaptor plate between the carb & the induction housing flange, I would imagine it has some countersunk screws hidden inside. Both the adaptor plate and air filter plate look like they could be made without too much trouble, if Webhead hasn't got spares of either of them.

5936b2c01087e_TilletsonHUon13BORengine1.jpg.9d7a67d5d80b748a4754b92d06065c5f.jpg

5936b2c405c95_TilletsonHUon13BORengine3.jpg.54903b47b24100c4dae823161c757ebb.jpg

There also appears to be an extra pipe fitting on the crankcase with the remains of the tubing & retaining spring.

5936b2c22b3cb_TilletsonHUon13BORengine2.jpg.caad313b54fa0492e2b0fd5e93b48a2c.jpg

David

Webhead, 

I may have an opportunity where I might need one of these. Are you interested in maybe selling one? If so, what would you be asking?

Thanks!

Clint