Cyrano85590

Howard Gem Seized clutch

HI, I am a new member so I apologise if I break any etiquette rules in advance. Seven years ago me and the wife sold up in the UK and bought a house and land in Bulgaria. Just before leaving we bought an old non working series V Howard Gem with a Kohler K301T engine.Well after seven years I've managed to start restoring the old girl (not the wife! The Gem!). I managed to overhaul the engine and got her running this morning but the clutch wasn't working - ie no drive to the gearbox or rotors. I've pulled the engine off this afternoon and have tried to remove the clutch assembly. Followed the simple instructions in the repair manual but the assembly is seized on the shaft. I really don't want to be beating the bejazzus out of the shaft any more than I have done (copper headed hammer in use). Has anybody any suggestions, they will be much appreciated.

Regards.

They can really fuse on to the shaft. I would try soaking it for a couple of weeks in diesel or similar, then with applying a little heat, try a 3 legged puller, maybe even one attached to a slide hammer. I once spent 14 months trying to get one to move and I've had others literally fall off in your hands.

Cheers for that advise. Was going to try a bit of heat application - just hate the smell of burnt asbestos! Anyhow it's on the backburner for a couple of days - got a lot of rain coming up, so need to sort out the vegetable patches before it all becomes a quagmire.